Is it normal for the gum to be this red?

MrCatLova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I have a Maine coon that is around 6 months old. My Vet said that his gum is red because of him teething, but I thought most kitten finish teething around 5-6 months old. He’s eating and drinking normally. He’s still very active and plays around. Any idea what you guy think is wrong with him? I’m planning to take him back next week to go see the vet again about this. Thanks!
48377510-D031-4FB0-BBEC-53C70732DC88.jpeg
DD288E1B-A7ED-45FD-8F78-3B4F6D4A8283.jpeg

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The bottom picture is more concerning. I would recommend taking them back to the vet for that picture alone. In my anecdotal experience, teething never produced that kind of inflammation.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I went on a search, and EVERY picture I found with gums that red was dealing with gum disease. Now, I am not a vet. And I do know that human babies' gums can get very red when they are teething. So it could be. But I'd have it looked at again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MrCatLova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the answers, I’m just hoping is not stomatitis because I don’t want my baby to grow up without teeth! hopefully is just something that can be fix with some dental cares.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you send those pics to the vet? I have read that final four teeth (molars) may not come in until a cat is around 10 months old or so. I am not sure of the placement of those final four teeth, but surely your vet would know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MrCatLova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you send those pics to the vet? I have read that final four teeth (molars) may not come in until a cat is around 10 months old or so. I am not sure of the placement of those final four teeth, but surely your vet would know.
They are currently doing blood work to see what is the cause of the inflamed gum. I went to see 3 different vet and the 2 said it could be stomatitis while the other the one told me it could be teething. Will update once I get the result!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Was one of the vets a veterinary dentist? A veterinary dentist has in depth training and education on all things dental. Many regular vets have very little education in basic dental care and most don't even consider dental health important.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
IF the worst should happen, cats without teeth do very, very well. Far better than with a mouth full of ICK. LOL, I've known some very stubborn cats who will happily crunch down on kibbles once the surgery sites heal.

Greta_Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, MrCatLova MrCatLova can I ask how things turned out? Did it end up being stomatitis? My cat’s gums are looking similar. Thanks!