Is it normal for my cat to make these noises?

maura larling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so a week ago when my kitten turned 11 weeks old she started making this weird noise that ive never heard any cat makes, and she makes it frequently. She isnt a very vocal cat which makes it weird she usually makes this souns everytime i wake her up or sometimes shell just run across my leg and make it or sometimes we'll just be cuddling and shell make it.

Link: https://m.soundcloud.com/brian-van-niekerk/strange-cat-noise

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I could only hear a very faint trilling sound at the beginning but it sounded like a normal cat sound. Cats really have a large repertoire of sounds they can make. Some only make a few, while others are more vocal. The cat I had who made a similar trilling sound made it when he was happy.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The good new is:  That's a normal, happy little cat sound.

The better news is:  She does it around you

The best new is:  You are evidently doing everything you can to make her happy, and it's working.

onirin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My younger one makes that sound too :)

When I showed a video of her to the shelter I got her from they told me it's called a "trill". That was the first I ever heard of it.

It's so cute.

Shes super talkitive with it too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maura larling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

The good new is:  That's a normal, happy little cat sound.

The better news is:  She does it around you

The best new is:  You are evidently doing everything you can to make her happy, and it's working.
This was honestly great to read... I had an awful day and decided i was gonna check the comments that i haven't had time to check and getting just some confirmation, is amazing, especially when you don't have a cuddly cat it can often feel as though they just see you as a food supplier and reading this made me realise that she has more subtle ways of showing her love, thank you for taking the extra effort and saying such kind words, recently it's just been feeling like all i hear is people pointing out my mistakes i really appreciate it!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh Darlin...You are doing fine.  Maybe there are some things to fine-tune, but there always are.  And people here care so passionately about cats and their welfare that sometimes they don't quite temper the winds to the new-shorn lamb, so to speak. 

I know from first hand experience what it is like to live with a skitterkitty who won't snuggle.  It took a full two years before Hekitty would even sit in my lap for any length of time.  Now she's under the blankets on the bed, prowling the length of my body with her tickley little whiskers half the night, demanding that I stop keying in things on the computer and PET TEH KITTEH NEOW!

However, as I said, it took time and allowing her to do it in her own way.  I want you to post next year at this time, and see the difference that makes, and again when she is two.  Also think of this...She's basically a toddler right now.  She's at the stage where she is far more interested in exploring the world than in cuddles and snuggles.  Those are for the future. And "NO!" is her favorite word.   OH...and before you get to the snuggles...you still have the"Teenage Years" to live through!   We'll be here.