Is it normal for my cat to bleed after being neutered?

KilljoyKaitlin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there.
I’m very worried as my 7 year old male cat got neautered a little over 24 hours ago. He mostly slept when we brought him home but today he’s been his normal self again and this has come at a cost. He’s moving around too much and acting like he’s fine. He’s confined to the lounge/kitchen area but he keeps roaming constantly and not napping. He was even jumping on the kitchen chairs a lot which isn’t helping. I noticed he was leaving blood where we was sitting/lying and a few drops here and there when he walked. It’s seemed to of slowed down now but I’m worried this amount of bleeding is abnormal. I don’t know what to do to stop him from jumping and potentially opening the wound more. Should I take him to the vets tomorrow?

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A little blood is normal but a whole backside like that is not. Can you call the vet today and ask for advice and reassurance? If the vet is closed, there should be an after hours voicemail message that has info on who to call.

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, that’s not normal. It’s not OMG emergency based on his activity level but definitely worth calling the vet over in case he has poor clotting factors.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Take him to the vet as as soon as you can. There are large blood vessels that deliver blood to the testes. These are tied off when a male cat is neutered to prevent bleeding. It seems as though one of these knots was not tied properly and came undone. It should eventually clot (hopefully) but it is still a gateway for a dangerous infection and needs to be seen too.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back to the veterinary hospital. That's not normal. Never had a cat bleed like that from a spay or neuter.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have released male TNRed ferals who immediately ran and jumped over a wall and nothing like this happened. Confine your cat and get him to a vet as this is not normal.