Is it immoral to eat a dog?

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As repugnant as it is to think of it's basically not that different from us eating beef, pork or chicken.

Come to think of it two of the primary religions worldwide won't touch pork.
And, one holds the cow as a sacred animal.

Wonder what they think of us

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My sister lived in China for about a year, and for work she often goes back for months at a time. My sister is all about trying something once, and when I found out she ate dog in China I almost fell off my chair! I yelled at her, I couldnt believe she ate that, but then agian she isnt as much of an animal lovers as I am. After she told me she ate dog, she then told me she tried horse once too, I gave her a dirty look and walked away, I was speechless.

I couldnt ever eat anything other then chicken,cow and fish, but thats just me.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Horse isn't that odd of a meat. I have some European friends that have ate horse.

I agree with what most have said, I won't eat a pet no matter what the species, but then I won't eat a lot of things anyways.
Deer, rabbit, fish, seafood, etc are nasty. The thought of eating snake, lizards, turtles, and frogs horrifies me a bit.

One particularly stomach turning thought is all the parasites that use animals as a final host or as a host in their process of getting to humans. It's disgusting enough of a thought to make you not want to eat any meat in some countries (less so when you know their handling of food animals and cooked food is less strict than ours). But going vegan isn't a solution to that... some parasites use plants in some of their early stages - such as water cress.

And as for fish being "ok" to eat. I've had some nice pet fish in my lifetime, some would even interact with me. I don't view them as any less deserving of life then a cat, dog, or cow just because there's not as much brain function there. I find eating lobster (and how they're killed) to be rather sad.
Do any of you know how long they actually live in the wild?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me yes, but people around the world eat weird things - what's normal for some, is abnormal to others.

I won't eat rabbit or deer cause I raised rabbits for pets and bottle fed a 3 week old fawn doe.

In India the cow is sacred and you won't find them eating hamburgers
Other places eat beetles and grubs....yuck!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I sure couldn't do it, but that's because I view dogs (and cats, of course) as companion animals, not food animals.

The issue I have with Chinese and some other cultures isn't what they eat, but how it's procured. I remember reading that it's considered more of a delicacy if the animal, especially dog or cat, is tortured before death.
That's disgusting! I know that's not always the case, especially with the poor who just eat to subsist.

All animals should be respected, even if they are going to be used as food. The Native Americans would thank the animal before taking a kill shot when hunting for providing them sustenance. I always beleived that hunting (with a good, skilled hunter) as a means of procuring food is more humane than the slaughter process - one shot, aiming for instant death. No suffering is always the goal. Even the slaughter process and legislature in the US for the slaughter process, while not ideal, attempts to be humane. Yes, we have a long way to go, but nothing could be worse than purposely torturing an animal to "enhance the flavor".

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

The issue I have with Chinese and some other cultures isn't what they eat, but how it's procured. I remember reading that it's considered more of a delicacy if the animal, especially dog or cat, is tortured before death.
That's disgusting! I know that's not always the case, especially with the poor who just eat to subsist.

All animals should be respected, even if they are going to be used as food.
Perfectly stated!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not immoral. I couldn't do it though, even just to try it once - if I knew what it was, I'd probably be sick.

I love kangaroo meat though - there's probably lots of people in the world who couldn't bear the thought of eating something people see as cute and cuddly like that.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sydney

My sister lived in China for about a year, and for work she often goes back for months at a time. My sister is all about trying something once, and when I found out she ate dog in China I almost fell off my chair! I yelled at her, I couldnt believe she ate that, but then agian she isnt as much of an animal lovers as I am. After she told me she ate dog, she then told me she tried horse once too, I gave her a dirty look and walked away, I was speechless.

I couldnt ever eat anything other then chicken,cow and fish, but thats just me.
Horses are delicious btw.

I love deer, buffalo, emu was yuck, never tried rabbits but willing to even though I have 3 of my own I would never dream of eating.