Is It Healthy For Cats To Play On Ipad?

mishventurer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just discovered a magical app named Mouse for Cats and Reiko is totally hooked. She's been playing the game for 20 minutes straight now and shows no sign of getting bored. This has been the most effective 'toy' to ever keep her occupied!

However I'm just wondering if there are any health hazards I should be aware of? We know it's bad for kids, but what about our kitties?

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think iPad games are fine for cats, as long as they do play with other toys. Like laser pointers, the disadvantage of iPad games for cats is that they can't actually have the "catching the prey" experience, that involves the actual feel of a toy under their paw, and the ability to shred, bite, kick, and just generally destroy a toy. It's also not as active, as a cat will just sit there, touching the screen with their paws. However, it is good for cats to have mental stimulation, so I think that giving an iPad game is perfectly fine, 20 minutes is kind of a long time, though, maybe see if Reiko is interested in playing a "chase"-type game with a wand-type toy, or you could hide food to organize a kibble hunt.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Better question would be is it healthy for the tablets! My Indy destroyed one of my galaxy tab s2 9.7" tablets. She threw it against the hard floor.

No more tablets or phones for my cats if they are going to break them!

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Better question would be is it healthy for the tablets! My Indy destroyed one of my galaxy tab s2 9.7" tablets. She threw it against the hard floor.

No more tablets or phones for my cats if they are going to break them!
Aren't there screen protectors and protective cases for tablets like there are for smart phones? :think: That would keep the tablet from being damaged.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My boy plays the mouse game on me iPad.

Whenever he touches the moving mouse, it squeaks and disappears and out come another.

I let him play once in awhile as this is not his favorite game. His favorite toy is the ball, cardboard boxes, tunnel watching birds and bugs and da bird.