Is It Fip?

escoozeemoi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone - I am a bundle of nerves right now so I apologize in advance.

I have a 13 month old Siberian Forest Cat - silver.. beautiful boy. He's never been the biggest cat, and he's the most sweet, gentle thing. He's very laid back but loves the laser and freaks out over it like crazy.

So in the past week or so.. I've noticed he's gotten a little lethargic and has lost some weight. He has not stopped eating. He grazes on dry food throughout the day and I feed him with my 2 other cats wet food twice a day. I just noticed that he ate a little less wet food than normal, and would let the youngest cat eat it.

So i got a bit worried on Sunday evening and I took him to the emergency vet who told me he was 5.5 lbs.. the last time he was weighed, he was 6.6 lbs.
No Fever. Coat is perfect. They said how beautiful he was. Eyes perfect, no change in color in his skin. Breathing is perfect. Uses the litter box regularly. The only thing is he isnt eating as much and lost some weight.

So they give us some Critical Nutrition and he ate it that night and the morning and i took him to our primary vet. He spent the day in observation where he ate throughout the day, flirted with the girls, and was incredibly alert and perky.
Fecal tests came back fine.
We were sent home with Royal Canin Recovery RS which we have been feeding him and he's been gobbling it up along with grazing on dry food.

we got his blood test back and our main vet is worried it's FIP.
His white blood cell count is up, slight anemia, mild liver changes and elevated bilirubin.
I have a phone call with him and the other vet today to get a game plan as I asked if we can try antibiotics.

I have been a worry wort - but he has been eating and i let him eat as much as hes full and i'll try again later to get the prescribed amount eaten. We see some weight gain, he's more alert - he's jumping more. the youngest one actually tried to wrestle with him which in my mind is a good sign.

Has anyone experienced this? Any cat with FIP and they gained weight and are much more alert than they were?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Have you had the call with your vet yet?

I don't have any experience with anything like this but am wondering what has led your vet to think it might be FIP?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

escoozeemoi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you had the call with your vet yet?

I don't have any experience with anything like this but am wondering what has led your vet to think it might be FIP?
Yes I have had the phone call with the vet, who stated the blood work shows 'Textbook FIP'
Elevated White Blood Cell Count, Slight Anemia, Elevated Bilirubin, and low albumin along with the weight loss.

My mind is blown and my heart is just shot right now - She said we caught it early. We're going to be doing an abdominal ultrasound to be sure it isn't Wet FIP which I don't believe it is.

He is being put on antibiotics and vitamins to help - just going to keep him as long and as best quality as we can..

I'm just very worried as we have a 7 mo old kitten as well who is very close to him. I asked if i need to separate them or if i need to be completely worried and she said not necessarily..

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your kitten should be fine. FIP mutates randomly in an individual cat and is not a contagious disease. It is likely that your kitten, like almost all cats, has already been exposed to the coronavirus which is relatively harmless. Unless it mutates into FIP of course, which is rare.

I pray for you that he does not have FIP. I’m so sorry you and him are going through this. Let us know the results of the ultrasound.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Darcy had FIP and her temperature was very high (105, 104) and never went down. My vet at the time told us there is no definitive test for FIP and that all you can do is rule out other things.

I pray your kitten does NOT have it. No kitten should ever have to go through that.

escoozeemoi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your kitten should be fine. FIP mutates randomly in an individual cat and is not a contagious disease. It is likely that your kitten, like almost all cats, has already been exposed to the coronavirus which is relatively harmless. Unless it mutates into FIP of course, which is rare.

I pray for you that he does not have FIP. I’m so sorry you and him are going through this. Let us know the results of the ultrasound.
Thank you. I am hoping Sid does not get it as well. We did have another kitty who passed from FIV or FIP in August. My heart can’t take more!

I definitely will. I just picked up his ABX and my husband sent me a pic of him eating kibble.. so he’s still kickin and refusing to let it get him down.

escoozeemoi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Darcy had FIP and her temperature was very high (105, 104) and never went down. My vet at the time told us there is no definitive test for FIP and that all you can do is rule out other things.

I pray your kitten does NOT have it. No kitten should ever have to go through that.
I’m so sorry that you have had to go through this.
Thankfully he hasn’t had a fever, no breathing issues, no jaundice. Honestly just not playing as much and eating less.
Sadly this is a result we have to deal with .. and everyone at the vets is heartbroken. He is a beautiful boy.

I’m staying hopeful for Sid! All I can do for Bear is keep him as happy as possible and as healthy as I can.

escoozeemoi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well.. Sadly Bear has declined and I had to force feed him this morning.
My husband and I made the decision to say goodnight to him tomorrow, to give him some time with us and his brothers before joining the rest of our family over the rainbow bridge.

I cannot stop crying. He is only 13 months old.

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:heartshape:I am so incredibly sorry :alright:
I know that at least during his time here you guys loved and took care of him as best you could. Most people wouldn't even do that. It must be incredibly hard right now but I hope you can find comfort in knowing that when he says goodbye he will be with the people that loved him the most in the world and he won't suffer :heartshape:

escoozeemoi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:heartshape:I am so incredibly sorry :alright:
I know that at least during his time here you guys loved and took care of him as best you could. Most people wouldn't even do that. It must be incredibly hard right now but I hope you can find comfort in knowing that when he says goodbye he will be with the people that loved him the most in the world and he won't suffer :heartshape:
Thank you. We want him around so badly just for a little longer.. but we won't let him suffer. It's not fair. We love him so much that we couldn't do that to him.
He has three siblings waiting for him for when he goes over the bridge, and my Dad will be there waiting too. I just wish it was when he was 15 and not 1.