Is it better to kennel or hire a cat sitter

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you think it's better for a cat to be boarded at a facility or to hire a cat sitter to come to the house once a day to take care of him in his normal surroundings? I can see good and bad in both situations. At the kennel he would get more attention and be fed on his normal schedule of 2 times a day and even get used to being around other animals. On the other hand, if we hire someone to come to our house, he's in his usual surroundings with his cat tree and beds and bay window to watch the birds out of but then again he's alone for so long and gets both his meals at one time which he probably eats all at once because he's pretty piggy when it comes to food.

Just want to get your opinions on what you think is best. Thanks.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How long are you talking about? We have never boarded our cats...always have a neighbor look in on them a couple of times a day. Last year we went on a 19 day cruise and bless our neighbor, she spend lots of time with them! She has even volunteered to give Sven sub-q's if we leave again since he's been diagnosed with kidney disease. Is that a great neighbor or what? But, we do the same for them when they go on vacation...we take care of their dogs.

But back to your question, personally, I try to leave them in their own environment, rather than make them stay in a cage while being boarded. Can you not ask the cat sitter to come twice a day, or do you not have friends nearby that you could ask a favor of for at least one feeding per day?

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
IMO it's better if possible to keep them in their own environment, where they're more comfortable, as mrsgreenjeans suggests.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Much better to leave in their own environment. Who's to say at a kennel they get more attention? No way to be sure. Like you said, you'll know at least he can look out his favorite window and sleep where he likes
, not a foot away from his litter box if he was kept at the kennel.

I left my cat once at a kennel and he came back smelling like some sort of medical spray and was totally not himself. I now have someone come when i go away. Fortunately I got someone really good that really likes my cats and animals in general and enjoys interacting with them. I come home and they don't even seem like they missed me! We get right back into routine like nothing happened.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with all the above. When my mom was very ill I would have to leave town for weeks and weeks to care for her. I had 4 cats at the time. My landlord, of all people, would come in twice a day and feed them and play with them. I was very lucky. It was hard enough for them to be a way from me. I thought a kennel would just add more stress on them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies. We usually go on a week long vacation in the Spring and possibly another in the Summer and then we do long weekends at times. We have an automated feeder that has 2 containers in it so if we're only gone over night we use that. I can hire this lady that I talked to today to come once or twice a day. If she only comes once a day, I could show her how to use the auto feeder for the evening meal so he stays on the same eating schedule. She said she charges $20 per visit and stays at the house for an hour playing with the cat and taking care of his needs. Sounds like that's a better route to go than the kennel that we just had him in when we went away for a week last week. They did say at the kennel that they do let him out of his cat condo and let him lay on the front counter by the owner of the kennel while he's working at the counter so that's why I thought he was getting some good interaction there but who knows how often that's happening.

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One other thing that I should mention is that we know the owner of the kennel that we go to and he told us that Frankie does really well hanging out at the front desk with him while he's working and doesn't even care about the dogs that are coming and going. We are thinking that it might be good for him to be socialized around other animals incase we ever get another cat or dog in the future. We're thinking we might get a small dog after my husband retires in a few years and this way, our cat wouldn't be so freaked out if we did that.

With that in mind and the fact that this kennel doesn't keep him cooped up in the cat condo the whole time, do you think it's so bad to take him to this kennel?

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would not want to take my cat to a kennel where they let it be loose. Anything could happen. A ladies cat got loose once at my vet's office and he finally helped the lady catch it. But he got bitten in the process. The other thing is hanging out at the desk for a day is different than numerous days like you are talking about. My cats did not do well boarding them. In fact one cat wouldn't eat most of the time. They finally bought canned tuna because it is all she would eat. She lost enough weight I could pull her collar over her head. I would never take my cat to the kennel again. Even though they are lonely at home, they are used to their surroundings. And they are safer.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Cats spend a lot of time sleeping, so he wouldn't have as much time to be lonely as you think.

I've never checked into the cost of a kennel, but $20/day for a cat sitter doesn't sound bad. Do you know this person? Has she already met your cat? I'm not sure I'd be happy with a stranger coming in to my home while I'm gone.

I have three or four friends who will come in to take care of my kitties. If I'm gone more than 3 days I'll have at least two of them taking turns so it isn't too much of an imposition on one person.

babz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would never board my animals again, unless they are there for an emergency. I just wouldn't suggest it for cats at all since they do seem to stress more when they are out of their environment. This can cause other health problems that can lead to something more serious. If you are comfortable with the pet sitter I would definitely recommend going with her.

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We used to have a friend come over and take care of our cat once a day but she lives about a half hour away and at that time she wasn't working and now she's working full time so I don't want to impose on her to take care of our cat.

My husband wasn't too thrilled with the idea of a stranger having a key to our house so I'm not sure about this lady that I talked to. We don't live near enough to anyone where we would feel comfortable asking them to come over every day. We're hoping to sell our house this year so hopefully we can get in closer to friends where this won't be a problem. In the meantime I'll have to figure something out.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by peeps

My husband wasn't too thrilled with the idea of a stranger having a key to our house so I'm not sure about this lady that I talked to.
Is the person insured and bonded? Do they have references? Do they happen to be registered with the better business bureau or anything else that if they do anything bad you can get them for it because you have all of their information?

The added benefit of a good pet sitter is that most of them will take in your mail, water plants, and move blinds/curtains, turn on lights, etc so that it does not look as if the home owners are away.

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Is the person insured and bonded? Do they have references? Do they happen to be registered with the better business bureau or anything else that if they do anything bad you can get them for it because you have all of their information?

The added benefit of a good pet sitter is that most of them will take in your mail, water plants, and move blinds/curtains, turn on lights, etc so that it does not look as if the home owners are away.
I asked if she was insured and had references and she sent me references so I guess she isn't insured/bonded because I would think that she would have answered that question if she was.

I just thought of something. When we adopted from the Humane Society they gave us a folder that had information in it and one of the sheets of paper in there had pet sitters so I should find that folder and call those to find one who is bonded and obviously the humane society wouldn't recommend anyone who wasn't trustworthy. If I can't find the folder, I could call them and ask them to email me with that list.

The lady that I talked to did say she'd bring in mail, newspapers, water plants and stuff like that. Like you said, that is an added plus.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet too, my vet's tech does petsitting - I had a diabetic cat and she used to come by and do his insulin for me if I had to go away. Bonded, registered as well as knowing my cats and how to treat them was a huge bonus

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Ask your vet too, my vet's tech does petsitting - I had a diabetic cat and she used to come by and do his insulin for me if I had to go away. Bonded, registered as well as knowing my cats and how to treat them was a huge bonus
Thanks for the suggestion. That's a wonderful idea.

dave_ph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Angies List has a category for Pet Sitters. I haven't used one yet but they've been a good source for other contractors.

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dave_PH

Angies List has a category for Pet Sitters. I haven't used one yet but they've been a good source for other contractors.
Thanks for the suggestion Dave.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone once told me he'd rather have his kitties lonely at home than afraid at a kennel. I've always had a cat sitter.

Since my dogs have gotten older, we leave them at home, too. The same sitter takes care of everyone.

Good luck with your decision!

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I remember years ago, we used to board our cats.. we boarded them at the vet with the dog.

Personally, I think if you have a reliable sitter to come check on them.. its better to leave them in their own environment. Unless you have a cat with health issues that needs supervision, then I'd suggest boarding with your vet.

I think the cats would be happier in their own environment tho, overall. As far as the feeding.. either have the sitter come twice a day, or look into getting a timed feeder.. your sitter could set up the feeder so that it gives the cat his second meal.

Not a bad idea to have someone going in and out of the house anyways.. theives generally look for signs of someone being away on vacation when choosing homes to target. If mail/newspaper is being picked up, lights are being off and on, and cars are regularly seen coming and going, it gives the appearance that someone is there.