Is it a 'mouse' problem...

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every once in a while my mouse seems to take over the screen.  The cursor starts to quiver a  lot and then all of a sudden it moves on it's own without me even touching the  mouse.  Could this be a mouse problem and it may need to be replaced?  The mouse came with the Dell computer and it's not the one with the ball.  Just wondering if this is the problem or is it my computer.

catfella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it a corded or cordless mouse?

Does the cursor always seem to "stray" in the same direction?

Have you tried updating the driver?

I work in I.T. ;-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it a corded or cordless mouse?

Does the cursor always seem to "stray" in the same direction?

Have you tried updating the driver?

I work in I.T. ;-)
It is a corded mouse, I'm not sure if it always strays in the same direction.  How do I update the driver?

catfella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might look into the instructions for cleaning the mouse. Most have very infrequent maintenance that needs to be done - either in the form of removing a cover and blowing out lint or cleaning an element with an alcohol pad or something of that sort.

Also, inspect the cord for physical problems, frays, knots, sharp bends. If you find these, wiggle the cord in those areas and see if you can recreate the problem.

If it begins to happen frequently, one way to test whether it's the mouse or not (it most likely is) would be to try the mouse in another device (such as a laptop or another desktop) and see if the problem happens there as well.

As far as updating the driver goes, it depends on what operating system (OS) you use. Are you on Windows? XP? Vista? 7? 8? or Apple or perhaps Linux?

If Windows (like 90% of us), you just need to search for "Device Manager" and it will have links. If you post what type of OS you have, I might be able to get you there.

Good luck!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks, I do not have another computer to try the mouse on but I'll try the other things you mentioned.  This doesn't happen every day, just once in a while but there must be a reason for it.

Thanks again.

I have Windows XP and I mostly use Firefox.

Last edited:

catfella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is a link to describe how to get into Device Manager (the place where you update drivers) in Windows XP

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/ht/accessdmcpnxp.htm

Drivers are just small programs that allow our hardware (mouse, keyboard, etc) to "speak to" our operating system (Windows XP, in your case).

It might even be automatic, if not, it will give you relatively simple instructions on how to do it.

Another think you might try is to plug your mouse into another USB socket and see if the problem persists or stops, this could rule out a failing USB socket.

In my experience, the problem is likely your mouse though. Usually resolves with cleaning OR buying a new mouse, lol.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks, I will try it when I have more time.  Hopefully I won't need to buy a new one, I have no idea what they cost but if need be, I will look into that also.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Computer mice (mouses?) are cheap, especially the corded kind. You could probably find a decent one for around $10. Might be worth getting a new one instead of fiddling around with the old one.

My main experience with that kind of thing was my old cordless mouse---when the batteries got low it did that. But not so much with a corded mouse. I do know that if you take it apart for cleaning you'll be surprised by how nasty it is in there. . .:tongue2:

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Computer mice (mouses?) are cheap, especially the corded kind. You could probably find a decent one for around $10. Might be worth getting a new one instead of fiddling around with the old one.

My main experience with that kind of thing was my old cordless mouse---when the batteries got low it did that. But not so much with a corded mouse. I do know that if you take it apart for cleaning you'll be surprised by how nasty it is in there. . .
I will not take it apart, I don't trust myself to do that, I may make it worse.  So far it has been ok the past few days.  Good to know tho that they are not expensive, I would probably go with a medium priced mouse rather than the cheapest if I do need to buy another one.  Thanks.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a link to describe how to get into Device Manager (the place where you update drivers) in Windows XP

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/ht/accessdmcpnxp.htm

Drivers are just small programs that allow our hardware (mouse, keyboard, etc) to "speak to" our operating system (Windows XP, in your case).

It might even be automatic, if not, it will give you relatively simple instructions on how to do it.

Another think you might try is to plug your mouse into another USB socket and see if the problem persists or stops, this could rule out a failing USB socket.

In my experience, the problem is likely your mouse though. Usually resolves with cleaning OR buying a new mouse, lol.

I did check this out and it seems it does update automatically.  Thanks again for the info.