Is Indoor Food OK for Kittens???

vinny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Florida - Loving and helping strays every day
Originally Posted by pollycharlie

Nutro is good because they don't use chicken by-products such as chicken head or feet or organs. You can see this on their ingridient list. What goes in the cat comes out, so if you feed them premium food then less junk come out.

If the Nutro Indoor formula is pricy for you, you can try the Nutro Max cat line. They have kitten food in that line, and its price is cheaper than the Indoor formula. The basic ingridient is similar, and I would go with Max because the Indoor formula really target specific problems that kittens usually don't have.
Nutro and Eukanuba is what I used to feed my cat before switching to Royal Canin and I am going back to Nutro and Eukanuba again. Never had problems with them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fubar_redrocket

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've noticed that both Nuto Max and Natural Choice CC Kitten food lists Chicken Meal as the first ingredient. By definition chicken meal is chicken which has been ground or otherwise reduced in particle size. The quality of the protein will depend on the type and amount of chicken meat in the mixture, as well as the amount of bone and connective tissue processed with the meat. Although better than chicken by-product meal, chicken meal is generally a lesser quality of protein source than chicken meat.

What does everyone think about the Purina One Growth and Developement food?? It has Chicken listed as the first ingredient but also has chicken by-product-meal as the second ingredient. Natural choice cc has ground rice as second ingredient, and Nutro Max has Corn Gluten Meal. The purina also has 5 more percent protien than the nutro products. Thoughts?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fubar_ReDRockeT

I've noticed that both Nuto Max and Natural Choice CC Kitten food lists Chicken Meal as the first ingredient. By definition chicken meal is chicken which has been ground or otherwise reduced in particle size. The quality of the protein will depend on the type and amount of chicken meat in the mixture, as well as the amount of bone and connective tissue processed with the meat. Although better than chicken by-product meal, chicken meal is generally a lesser quality of protein source than chicken meat.

What does everyone think about the Purina One Growth and Developement food?? It has Chicken listed as the first ingredient but also has chicken by-product-meal as the second ingredient. Natural choice cc has ground rice as second ingredient, and Nutro Max has Corn Gluten Meal. The purina also has 5 more percent protien than the nutro products. Thoughts?
I would not consider a food using chicken by-product meal as superior to Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care line, and corn gluten meal, which is a source of protein, is okay with me so long as it is not the only or main source of protein in a food (I've seen foods that list corn gluten meal as the first ingredient, and there's no sight of meat or fowl or fish after that ingredient!)

The ground rice, I'd rather it weren't the second ingredient, but I'll take it any day over a food using ground/cracked/whole corn or corn meal, plus wheat and soy flowers, plus rice/or barley as I've seen. Rice is less of an allergen than other grains,as I understand it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fubar_ReDRockeT

the chn as first ingrediant is debatable as a true thing.. since ingrediants are listed wet aka raw ...
example list
chn, rice , corn ,chn by product meal
after cooking would read
rice , corn chn by product..then chn

it take five lbs of fresh chn to get one lb of meal and since meal is chn with or without a bit of bone it is the better prrtein source..

Ideally chn meal with some chn is the first five ingrediants...

Another thing to think about is ... Is your food processed by a company that only make s dog and cat food ???