Is Iams food bad?

fluffee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it helps any, like the one person stated, what is best for your cats. We had our on Meox mix, my husband thought it worked because his cats ate it. I moved in, we inherted 3 more and lost one back to his stepdaughter from his previous marrage. We moved our to Science Diet and they turned their nose up. We tried Iams and the only one they really like is lamb and rice. They look better but for us, the throwing up and hair ball problems have almost went away. On the old food everyday we found throwup in the house. Nowdays on Iams, once a week maybe.

Hope this helps
Marcia

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since Iams belongs to P&G, which is one if not the biggest manufacture company in the US. Their product is so commercialized that they heavily market to Vet offices so it doesn't mean Iams is good but just good sales bonus to Vet offices. I'm not sure whether Iams or any of their problems are good consider the ingredients they have: by-products as the second ingredient. I think any heavily commercialized products should be looked further. Money hungry giants cares more about money than the product itself. Just my 2 cent of a general stereotypical thought on corporate giants.

As for the cruelty, check this website. I burst in tears just watching the clips.

http://www.iamscruelty.com/index.asp

I have done my homework and I found that food is an important factor and does play a major role in dictating the life expectancy of your pet, not to mention less potential health issues as they get older (excluding hereditary).

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jkrodger

I'm glad to hear that Iams isn't too bad. My cats were on Authority (a brand that I hardly ever hear mentioned on this board) and we're not trying a couple of cans of Innova, Nutro, and Merricks. Last night was the first Merrick's test (Granny's Pot Pie) and resulted in them licking up all the gravy and not touching the solid food. I'm going to try the other flavors since we already bought them and then move on to one of the other test brands. But we might be sticking with Authority, opinions on this?
Bijou always licks up the gravy first too. I leave it down for about 1 hour and by the time I get back to it he has come back to finish off the chunks.

ckeller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just because another very commercial organization (PETA) posts a very emotional website claiming Iams is cruel to animals does not necessarily make it 100% true. While Iams has admitted to animal testing, the research centre that was posted on Iamscruelty was not even owned by Iams or Proctor and Gamble. It was contracted out, and while that does not excuse Iams from what happened at that centre, it does not make them the one holding the smoking gun. We have to remember that PETA is also playing a marketing game. We all must keep prospective and remember that unless we saw it with our own eyes, then nothing is 100% true.

Iams is not the only company that does animal tests, look at the Waltham Centre in England, its owned by the Mars Inc. They have the Whiskas and Royal Canin brands to name a few. Even Nestle is in the game with there Purina Company. Colgate owns Hills the makers of Science Diet. I am sure that some of these same practices are committed at those respective companies, but again because PETA went after Iams, we choose to bash Iams at every turn.

While I do agree that Iams may not be the most premium brand of food that is out there, I am very certain that its not the worst.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Himagery

Hello, I am new here. Iams is owned by Procter & Gamble who is one of the
biggest animal testing facilities in the USA. I try to boycott all P&G products.
Those of you who keep stating animal cruelty, please read the articles. IAMS/P&G work closely with the ASPCA. The ASPCA states this on its own website. I reposted the link below.

Here is a link to IAMS animal study policy.

http://www.iamstruth.com/iamstruth/e...&article ID=2

And here is a link to the ASPCA statement on it's work along with IAMS. They moved it since the last time I posted it, but it's still on the ASPC website. They've worked for 5 years to prevent cruelty to animals along with IAMS. IAMS had some external contract facilities where they discovered problems. When they found out about them and what they were doing, they closed them.

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...iams_statement

wickedkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ckeller

Just because another very commercial organization (PETA) posts a very emotional website claiming Iams is cruel to animals does not necessarily make it 100% true. While Iams has admitted to animal testing, the research centre that was posted on Iamscruelty was not even owned by Iams or Proctor and Gamble. It was contracted out, and while that does not excuse Iams from what happened at that centre, it does not make them the one holding the smoking gun. We have to remember that PETA is also playing a marketing game. We all must keep prospective and remember that unless we saw it with our own eyes, then nothing is 100% true.

Iams is not the only company that does animal tests, look at the Waltham Centre in England, its owned by the Mars Inc. They have the Whiskas and Royal Canin brands to name a few. Even Nestle is in the game with there Purina Company. Colgate owns Hills the makers of Science Diet. I am sure that some of these same practices are committed at those respective companies, but again because PETA went after Iams, we choose to bash Iams at every turn.

While I do agree that Iams may not be the most premium brand of food that is out there, I am very certain that its not the worst.
I agree.