is he feral or just insane?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How wonderful of you to take in this little unwanted boy!

It's the season for him to smell females in heat, and he's not into petting right at the moment. The neuter will help him calm down a lot.

If you don't want to wait for your friend, I looked up the zip code for Martin, TN, and I found this:

Originally Posted by pets911.com

Carroll County Humane Society
396 Euclid Avenue
McKenzie, TN 38201
23.8 miles
(731) 352-9950

http://www.cchspet.org

Hours: Our hours are Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 10am to 12pm, Saturday by appointment, and closed Sunday.

We're about a mile from the square in downtown McKenzie. From Highway 79 or Highway 22, take Highway 124 West (Cedar Street to 4-way Stop, TURN LEFT onto Magnolia) to the Little General Store (BP Gas) and flashing, hanging, yellow traffic lights and TURN RIGHT (Elm Street) - immediately TURN LEFT onto Euclid. Follow Euclid about a quarter of a mile - we're on the RIGHT at 396 Euclid Avenue.
You'll have to call them to find out how much it is.

If you want to try for other searches (since you know your area better than I do), this is the link I used: http://www.pets911.com/veterinarians/ and click either on local spay neuter services or low-cost spay neuter services.

But I would discuss with them the possibility of a vet appointment as well. Though the pooping in the bathtub may be territory-marking, it sometimes indicates discomfort while pooping. He may have food sensitivities or colonitis, which can be easily corrected with a diet change. But a vet would have to make that determination. Getting a poop sample in for that is important though. I'd also think it would be important to have him checked for parasites, worms in particular. They're also pretty easily treatable, but he was outside on his own for a while, so it would be likely. One treatment doesn't do it, because any of the meds only kill the adult worms, so at a minimum a second treatment is required about three weeks after the first. Again, this is medication that a vet would prescribe and you can give him at home.

Hope all is well with your little boy and it's just that he needs a neuter and a bigger box!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frootloop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your help

But unfortunately, I will HAVE to wait for my friend's mom to take Socks to get neutered. She runs a cat shelter in a neighboring town, and will take him with another group of cats to get the surgery.

I would take him somewhere myself, but I have virtually _no_ money. And as far as I know, there aren't any places nearby that are doing it for free. I really am broke here; my roommates and I have been living on cheap bread and lunch meat recently, and yesterday my boyfriend "splurged" a few dollars for cat food.

We always put their needs first, like spending grocery money on their food instead of ours; but right now we don't have money for a neutering... what little bit of cash we get needs to go towards bills so all of us will have a place to live.

It should be done soon, but I don't know when. Also, I was wondering if there was a way that I could get him to stop chasing Sass. Earlier she was lying by my computer, and he was nearby, looking like he was about to attack her... so I grabbed a toy and distracted him with it. It worked that time but not always... most of the time he just chases her and pays no attention to me or anything else.