Is Gabapentin linked to low platelet count?

misterginja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

If there's anyone else here who has to give their cat 100 mg (or somewhere close to that) of Gabapentin before medical exams, can you please share if you've noticed low platelet count readings on their blood test results? I read online that certain drugs can lower platelet counts but am having trouble finding out if Gabapentin is included in the list. My boy's platelet count was very low, much lower than the healthy normal range. He received a good prognosis at his exam, not diagnosed with diabetes, anemia or anything else, but this detail is worrying me. By the way he's 13 lbs, just to give an idea of how much medicine was in his system.

Thanks in advance

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Your concerns about platelet count are certainly valid. Discuss the lab report with your vet and ask if there are possible medical issues as indicated by the low count.

One thing that can cause a low count is the automated counting of platelets by the lab. Some labs, I think Antech, even put a notation on blood tests regarding this. Feline platelets can clump together and cause a miscount when there is actually no low count. Ask your vet if they think that this is a possibility or not.

In humans, gabapentin can be linked to low platelets in some cases.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misterginja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your concerns about platelet count are certainly valid. Discuss the lab report with your vet and ask if there are possible medical issues as indicated by the low count.

One thing that can cause a low count is the automated counting of platelets by the lab. Some labs, I think Antech, even put a notation on blood tests regarding this. Feline platelets can clump together and cause a miscount when there is actually no low count. Ask your vet if they think that this is a possibility or not.

In humans, gabapentin can be linked to low platelets in some cases.
Thanks for your thoughtful response, will see what his Dr. says about long-term effects of a low platelet count.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline platelets can clump together and cause a miscount when there is actually no low count. Ask your vet if they think that this is a possibility or not.
Feline platelets are prone to clumping, but in this case labs usually add a note at the end of the report.

misterginja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your input---just updating that it turns out the low platelet count was only due to clumping when his sample was processed at the lab, like you both suggested...happy about that!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the lab work was done in house, it is often caused by platelet clumping but still should be confirmed with a fresh blood smear. It is easy to check for adequate platelets on a slide. If it was sent to a lab, they should have checked it there.

misterginja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad to read it.
Didn't the lab add a note that was saying something about these clumps?
There's a note that says "platelet count reflects the minimum number due to platelet clumping", it's on some of his previous reports too, but I didn't understand that enough to explain why his reading was so drastically different this year. But now I know

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a note that says "platelet count reflects the minimum number due to platelet clumping", it's on some of his previous reports too, but I didn't understand that enough to explain why his reading was so drastically different this year. But now I know
We all have to learn someway.
At the beginning, I couldn't understand that note either, but later on I got it.