Is Drontal and Revolution safe for cats?

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I work at Boo Boo zoo which is as cattery of 80 cats.  We have been plagued by super fleas that are resistant to Revolution and Advantage which are poison not only to your cat but to your family.  We have been using cedar oil spray (that is safe for pets-do not use cedar essential oil).  When I took my 5 month old kitten in to be neutered they put Revolution and it made both of us sick and didn't get rid of the fleas.  I gave him a capstar that rid him of the active fleas then I sprayed him down thoroughly with the cedar spray.  He was totally calm and soothed while I did this, spraying him all over (except around his face) and working the liquid into his fur down to the skin.  I towel dried him to get off the excess then he licked himself as they will do.  The cedar oil then went to work on him internally for any parasites he had inside his tummy and intestinal tract.  He slept most of the day and then in the morning was his rambunctious self.  He smelled glorious, like a forest of trees and his fur was soft and luxurious.  Best of all, no fleas.  Nature's Defender cedar oil is what I purchased and it is diluted one ouch to a gallon for direct application on pets.  I am totally against putting poison on my pets to kill parasites.  They say it is safe but I have seen what this stuff can do.
I don't like having to use chemicals for flea treatment either but did have to use Advantage at one point which I believe is not as toxic as Revolution. This product sounds really interesting - I love the smell of cedar! Thanks for sharing.

random gemini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Revolution is not more toxic to your cat than Advanatage. I've heard those same reports of Revolution causing this and that in pets, but no one seems to have thought that these incidents were actually bad enough to file a complaint with Pfizer about them. My vet called them up when I asked her about the reports that I'd read about Revolution on the internet. You would think, that if those things were true, people would have called the 800 number in the package to complain about it.

No one has. 

You should definitely do your own research. Talk to your own vet, but do, do the research. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. 

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it doesn't really surprise me that your vet was told by Pfizer that there have been no complaints. What flea treatment company is going to admit that they have received complaints from the public about their products?

I think if your vet had contacted the Environmental Protection Agency, she would have learned about many, many complaints from the public involving spot-on flea treatments. Here is a page from the EPA : http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpres...cb98fe802d1162a78525759a00686ef0!OpenDocument

While Revolution and Advantage are both topical flea treatments and work similarly, the Revolution product is absorbed into and stays in the bloodstream as it is designed to not only work to kill fleas, but also ticks, heartworms, roundworms, etc., whereas Advantage does not get absorbed in the same way. I think for this reason, Advantage may be safer than Revolution. You also need to get Revolution through a vet, whereas Advantage can be gotten OTC. I agree that people should do their own research, but when it comes to other people's experiences in this case, I think this information can be important if it prompts someone to ask questions when making the decision to use a medication on their animal.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Revolution is not more toxic to your cat than Advanatage. I've heard those same reports of Revolution causing this and that in pets, but no one seems to have thought that these incidents were actually bad enough to file a complaint with Pfizer about them. My vet called them up when I asked her about the reports that I'd read about Revolution on the internet. You would think, that if those things were true, people would have called the 800 number in the package to complain about it.

No one has. 

You should definitely do your own research. Talk to your own vet, but do, do the research. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. 
Yeah um, what drug company is going to admit they have had adverse reactions?  I have worked for vets for 20+ years and know of at least a couple of dozen cases with revolution adverse reactions that were reported to the company.  I know 5 cats recently who all reacted to it from the same batch.  I know that it was reported to the company cause I heard my manager on the phone with Pfizer/Zoetis reporting the reaction and they sent us replacement product.