Is clumping litter a good idea...?

rubberboots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been using Swheat Scoop for the past 2 years and loved it. Unfortunately, my cat's box has started smelling very strongly of ammonia even after cleaning it daily and changing the litter. Grizabella has shown her displeasure by pooping outides the box. It is a covered box and I tried leaving the cover off yesterday to see if that helps air it out. Not sure if I need to switch to a litter with better odor control or if it's time for a new box? She just had her check-up at the vet and all looked good and her urine amounts are normal, (We had an episode of feline diabetes 4 years ago, so I keep a cerful eye on her fluid levels).
Swheat Scoop is all we use as well because it is bio-degradeable, flushable and clumping. Some dust but not very much, way less than clay. I also figured that it would also be less harmful to the cats if they happen to lick some off their paws. Haven't had any problems with smell at all as long as we scoop it on a regular basis.

devonlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just found Pro Pet Fresh Results Clumping Corncob Cat Litter at Walmart and bought a bag.  It's dense litter which is what my cat loves and isn't light and airy like World's Best Cat Litter.  It's a lighter color than Blue Buffalo walnut cat litter which both my cat and I loved but that litter was too dusty and tracked dark brown footprints all over the house and my bed.   It isn't clay which is not only bad for the environment but made both of us cough and sneeze.  There is very little about it online but I am hoping it doesn't have the same clumping chemical that clay litter has.  So far it's our favorite after trying every litter on the market and it's pretty inexpensive for a "designer litter".  The bag says it comes from the Eight In One Pet Products Company but none of the web pages open.  If anyone out there knows anything about the litter I would appreciate your input.   

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is the website for 8in1

http://www.eightinonepet.com/

when I clicked on cat I got:

http://www.eightinonepet.com/products.php?main=3

almost no information on the litter. When I see so little info offered, I wonder what they are hiding. I recommend you write to them asking for a list of the ingredients in the litter and see what kind of answer you get.

And please share what you find out with us. Welcome to TCS!

krazycatlady-no

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For DevonLover (Just found Pro Pet Fresh Results Clumping Corncob Cat Litter at Walmart and bought a bag.) I just did a search at Wal-Mart and can't find this litter for my region (Jacksonville, FL). If you can tell me your city & state, I can put that in Wal-Mart's site and hopefully I could get it via their on-line shopping tab.

I currently use the Arm & Hammer Essentials litter and mix it with Fresh Step litter for use in the Littermaid cat box. The Arm & Hammer deodorizes wonderfully (and the cats have no problem with the fragance) but it doesn't clump all that great, so I mix in the Fresh Step and the mixture works great, clumps stay together and odor control works for my 3 boys.

dmand

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been using Pro-Pet Fresh Results for a week now and I am in 7th Heaven!!! This is a clumping corncob cat litter that I picked up at Walmarts. 10 lbs for about $6.00. At first I was hesitant, as the amount was 15 lbs short of my usual weekly usage, but the bag said that 10# would = 20#, and my best friend had recommended couple years back the great results she had with the corn cobs. This is the first I have seen in a store since then, (upstate NY compared to her in Cal).

Ok, HIGHLY RECOMMENDING!!! But to answer first your question, I have tried most of the store varieties of clay clumping litters, to very highly agrevated results!!! I have just read some of the answers, and realized just how bad the clumping has been for my cat, that I didnt know myself!! She is a 19 year old Maine Coon cat, diabetic, and has the long hair, scruff around her neck, and the bloomers well known for this breed. Due to a move I made several years ago, she has had to be an indoor cat, with occassional outside walks. At this point, her hips can bother her, and so does not jump as much, and, I suppose, it has also inhibited her to cleaning her bloomers area, and lower spine. Every year she sheds a pelt from her spinal area, and the last few years I have had to have her shaved. But on reading the comments, I am thinking of adding the clay clumping litter to her problem of matting and removal!! It all makes sense now! The clumping must be bad for her as well, if she cleans her fur, and have you noticed how cement like it gets on your litter box? What happens when she swallows this? No more clay clumping for me!!

Ok, so I bought this product last week, and thought I had had long enough to write a review, only Walmart is not carrying anymore, even though it had 97% 5 STARS!!!!!!!! 62 OUT OF 65 PEOPLE GAVE IT 5 STARS!!! I see now that they will be carrying the new Arm and Hammer version, and can only pray that it is as wonderful as this, or I will have to shop elsewhere to find it!

Here are my 5 star reasons:

1. 10# bag is definately equivalent to the 25+ that I used weekly, even more, because I just took out todays clumps, and it looks like I still have about 95% corncobs left after a week! ( not knowing, I emptied entire 10 pounds into box last week, as my usual routine with litter)

2. A weeks removal is less than half a bathroom garbage can, or approx 1/4 of a grocery garbage bag! Because the corn cobs absorb more than the average clay, there aren't any giant boulders, or even small rocks in the box to be scooped out! Just a normal small amount of corn cob is used per urine drops, and no moisture in bottom of box either.

3.  !!!!! Corn cobs only stick to themselves, not to the box!!!!!!!! No cement results like with the clay,, so cleaning up is a breeze, especially if it gets on the floor, you dont have to dynamite it off, or from inside the box either!

4.  NO SMELL!!! Even with my cats medicine, I am not aware of the urine/med/poop smell!! It has a pleasant odor of its own, says its natural pine scent, but I didnt smell the forest, but nice pleasantness,,,,,,,

5.  Disposal is easy, no double bagging, and no 2 handed tough job of throwing the bag away! I used to add grocery bag to normal kitchen garbage, then couldnt lift!! Now, pop in garbage, and each bag weighs practically nothing! Fantastic!!

6. I have tried the electric kitty box, only the clumping caused such major problems with the forks, and got into the tracks, so it wouldnt operate after 6 months. (I had even sprayed with corn oil and wiped down before dumping the clay, but, it finally got too much for me!) So I finally threw it away, no more hassle of that sort! I have about 5 litter boxes that get changed every couple months, only  using 1 at a time, and the others I place outside on porch till needed... hoping fresh air would make a difference, kinda does. But also, sometimes I just couldn't remove the cemented clay litter from the box, but can after months outside. I am anticipating not to have to do this anymore, as the box can now be washed out weekly, no scrubbing the cement, and reuseable that day after drying. Hurrah!! I am even thinking of placing 2nd box upstairs for her, saves on hip problem, since it will be so easy to clean! and no smell!!

7.  Already I find that this will be so more inexpensive, bought this bad of 10# for about $6.00, and will get about about a month, if not more, use of the clean litter....

8. When I first brought this home, I got out refreshed litter box, dumped entire bag in, (due to her hip problems, I no longer can use the small litter boxes, nor the covered ones, as she needs to squat differentlly. I pick up diff larger plastic bins, and even used the large under the bed bin, with the cover underneath. Sometimes she tends to sit on edge of box to pee, and so, the cover catches the drips. Of course, this holds double the amount of litter than normal, but helps her out a lot. So far this week, she is using the regular sized box while airing out her normal, and so far, no outside the box drips!) I placed a small amount of her regular litter, from her last used box, over top, sprinkled it actually, so that it had the scent she was used to. It took her about half a day to finally use and she seems very happy since!

Over all, I think clumping is easier, but have now decided that using clay litter is bad and will not go back that way. I may reinvest in the mesh bottom box again, having thrown out the last set due to the cement closing the holes! I have also used the plastic liners for years only she scratches the heck out of them, and so, the last ones I had had holes on bottom to drop the clean litter thru, but she ripped that to shreds. No, without the clever edging that goes around like a lid on the litter box, I won't go back to the liners again, but, she cant get into too easy anymore. No, corn cobs loose are my gold now, and cleaning promises to be a breeze!!

ptamom2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With my older cat (who has since went to cat heaven) I used Sweatscoop and Worlds Best litter.  I liked them both but do remember dust.  I am now using Arm and Hammer Clumping.  I feel bad when I read the other posts as I want only the best for my kitten plus if I can same $$ on vet bills, I'm all for it.  I do like Arm and Hammer as I am able to tell when Pawlee has done her business.  I clean up usually within the hour so I don't notice a smell.

I am afraid to switch as she comes from the shelter and I feel she is used to clumping or any donated litter.