Is Chocolate Is Poisonous to Dogs?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
A couple of Hershey's Kisses, a rib or two of a milk chocolate bar, or a Reese's PBC aren't going to kill a medium to large-sized dog, nor will a one-pound box of chocolate fudge (my parents had a large Lab who stole one and ate it, with no ill effects). It's best to keep that kind of thing out of reach, because most dogs love chocolate. I'd be concerned about a Chihuahua or Yorkie getting too much, but there's no reason to panic if your Shepherd or Dane steals a chocolate bar.

butterflyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend was making homemade chocolate chip cookies a few months ago, and had to run to the store. He left the bowl (a double sized batch) on the kitchen table.

I heard clinking and thought one of the cats was on the table, but I go in the kitchen to see my dog up on the table and had eaten almost the entire bowl. About 2 hours later I was sitting on my bed, and my dog comes and jumps up there and projectile vomits all over me
...that began a very long night. He was vomiting and pooping everywhere, for over 2 days. The carpet still has stains in it we can't get out.

He made it through all of it just fine, but we were very scared there for a few days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That was a close one....
I'm glad that everyone is OK.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This comes up a lot on dog boards so here is some info:
I decided to run some numbers. The results are in a pdf file. This was calculated using info from this web site:
http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/dechoc.html

What I come up with (roughly) is that
1) for milk chocolate, a dog has to eat 60% of his/her own weight to get the toxic dose
2) for dark chocolate, a dog has to eat about 16 % of his /her own weight to get the toxic dose
3) for baking chocolate it is about 9% of the dog's weight

(if I did that I would puke before I hit the toxic amount)

So if your dog eats a Milky Way, you don't need to panic. If your dog gobbles up your whole box of Valentine's Day chocolates he/she will get sick, the same way you might get sick if you ate an entire cheesecake. So no, don't give your dog chocolate.

Definitely spread the word about things like grapes and raisins, no one ever knows that one.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once Max found his way into a box of oreos and ate almost a whole tray. Not cool. He had diarrhea. But he's a big guy and it wasn't chocolate, just sugar and fat and preservatives, so not toxic...though he was not a happy guy for a while. Nor were we, since we live in an apartment, so there is no yard to let him out and we had to walk him a LOT due to the GIT issues.