Is blending wet food bad for cats' digestive system in the long run?

Dodahm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My kitty, Dodahm, only licks her wet food and always leaves quite a bit of food if it is chunky. However, she finishes her food if I blend wet food with a little bit of water.

I am a bit concerned that if feeding her wet food in such a smooth texture would be bad for her digestive system in the long run. I feel like this is equal to being pretty much on the liquid diet as she doesn't have to chew anything. She is mostly on the wet food diet with a small portion of dry food (less than 20 percent).

Is it okay to continue to feed her like this? Or should I gradually introduce chunkier texture?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Fed is best. She's eating dry as well so I wouldn't see why her body would stop processing solids. But you could ask your vet!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby (19+ yo) has never wanted anything but pates once she got off dry food. And, I always add water to them. I see no reason why this could even be remotely considered a liquid diet. She has a lot of problems, but digestive issues - knock on wood - isn't one of them!!

I think it is just more of a food preference that differs from one cat to another.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dodahm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Feeby (19+ yo) has never wanted anything but pates once she got off dry food. And, I always add water to them. I see no reason why this could even be remotely considered a liquid diet. She has a lot of problems, but digestive issues - knock on wood - isn't one of them!!

I think it is just more of a food preference that differs from one cat to another.

That's a relief to hear that. I guess I was worried that it is even smoother than pate. It's more like a smoothie after I blend it. Maybe there isn't much difference though.

Thank you for your reply and I wish Feeby stay healthy for many years to come!

Dodahm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fed is best. She's eating dry as well so I wouldn't see why her body would stop processing solids. But you could ask your vet!
Yes, it seems like it should be fine. I will check with my vet. Thank you!

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with just double checking with your vet, but so long as your cat is not currently having issues with it I personally don't see how it would be bad. If anything I see it as beneficial since adding water to the wet food can be a great way to add additional water into their diet if your cat will eat it that way. Unlike dogs many cats don't drink as much water as they should on their own, especially if given dry food too.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is a licker as well, but is accustomed to eating other wet foods now. I used to put her food in a bullet blender with a bit of water or water from boiled chicken breast and she ate it as a pate.
I also add a spoonful of water to food in the can before putting it in the fridge between feedings as directed by the manufacturer.

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My old dude had teeth issues when I found him, so he always hated chunks. He'd eat kibble, but not really chew it. I'd give him 1/3rd of his daily calories in wet food and 2/3rds wet food. For wet food, he only ever wanted pate style foods, or otherwise I'd have to mash it with a fork.

He ended up having a lot of health issues in his old age, but none of them were digestive issues, and none of them were caused by eating pate.

My current cats prefer chunks, but I wouldn't hesitate to feed other cats pate again if that's what they wanted.

Dodahm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My old dude had teeth issues when I found him, so he always hated chunks. He'd eat kibble, but not really chew it. I'd give him 1/3rd of his daily calories in wet food and 2/3rds wet food. For wet food, he only ever wanted pate style foods, or otherwise I'd have to mash it with a fork.

He ended up having a lot of health issues in his old age, but none of them were digestive issues, and none of them were caused by eating pate.

My current cats prefer chunks, but I wouldn't hesitate to feed other cats pate again if that's what they wanted.

Thank you! That's a relief to hear that.

LokiWolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All three of my kittiens eat wet and dry food mixed together with hot water and some turkey broth. No digestive issues.