Is Beauty Inversely Proportional To Intelligence?

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greg is very pretty....

20181023_095319-1.jpg

But im not sure he is very smart.

Here he is just 16 hours after having his paw stung by a bee. Fortunately "dad" was on duty and averted the crisis. In the first picture you can see the bee mid air. In the second picture you can see the bee's butt and stinger hanging out of the top flower.

20190729_091300.jpg

20190729_091258-1.jpg

Yesterday I saw him catch a bee midair with his front paws, before I could stop him. He almost immediately let it go and began chewing at his front left paw. I think he dug the stinger out as I inspected the paw and found nothing, although he has big paws and they are grey/black with long tufts. He was quickly walking normally and had no side effects....and apparently no memory of the event.

Oh........Gregy!

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Belle and Beau looked alike, except that Beau was a longhair. The joke in my family was that Beau was the beauty and Belle was the brains. It wasn't exactly inaccurate, let me tell you.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greg is very pretty.
He sure is. I've always loved G and A and their colour is beautiful.
A major instinct of animals is to learn from mistakes such as not trying the bee thing again. Maybe their hunting instinct sometimes overcomes this as can be seen by certain other animals. Some animals deal with very venomous creatures and then eat them. If you look at videos of this, it looks very risky and some no doubt will succumb if badly timed.
I realise the light tone of your post but it made me think of your header a little more about humans and animals in general..
If someone is very attractive, people often treat them differently either more nicely or more not so nicely and for a host of reasons. This may have an effect on their emotional and, possibly, intellectual development. It's like a super- star from some discipline. They will have folks fawning over them and wanting to please so they can become un-grounded. In fact that is often raised in interviews -"How do you keep yourself grounded?" I think childhood stars are particularly vulnerable in this respect having known little else.
It could apply to animals perhaps. The 'cuter' the animal = more affection or food etc. This probably affects their behaviour. Could that play a part in the development of intelligence? I've no idea, just a thought.
Looks surely do play a part in a more basic sense as the bigger or brighter the plumage of some species ensures a breeding advantage.

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not a thing wrong with Greg's intelligence...It just doesn't take him very long to look at a bee, once he has it in his paws.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greg is very pretty....

View attachment 294299

But im not sure he is very smart.

Here he is just 16 hours after having his paw stung by a bee. Fortunately "dad" was on duty and averted the crisis. In the first picture you can see the bee mid air. In the second picture you can see the bee's butt and stinger hanging out of the top flower.

View attachment 294301

View attachment 294302
Yesterday I saw him catch a bee midair with his front paws, before I could stop him. He almost immediately let it go and began chewing at his front left paw. I think he dug the stinger out as I inspected the paw and found nothing, although he has big paws and they are grey/black with long tufts. He was quickly walking normally and had no side effects....and apparently no memory of the event.

Oh........Gregy!
If the premise of your thread title is true then “Gregy” would be seriously retarded!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the premise of your thread title is true then “Gregy” would be seriously retarded!
I will tell him....but im not sure he will understand.

Mind you, who is the dumb one?

Ive babysitted him outside for the last 2 1/2 hours, he will now be brushed, fed and taken inside. I will have to go out in the heat and humidity and cut the grass for 2 hours. He will watch from his air conditioned house on his leather couch.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a thing wrong with Greg's intelligence...It just doesn't take him very long to look at a bee, once he has it in his paws.
Thank you.

You are very kind...lol.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A major instinct of animals is to learn from mistakes such as not trying the bee thing again. Maybe their hunting instinct sometimes overcomes this as can be seen by certain other animals. Some animals deal with very venomous creatures and then eat them. If you look at videos of this, it looks very risky and some no doubt will succumb if badly timed.
I realise the light tone of your post but it made me think of your header a little more about humans and animals in general..
If someone is very attractive, people often treat them differently either more nicely or more not so nicely and for a host of reasons. This may have an effect on their emotional and, possibly, intellectual development. It's like a super- star from some discipline. They will have folks fawning over them and wanting to please so they can become un-grounded. In fact that is often raised in interviews -"How do you keep yourself grounded?" I think childhood stars are particularly vulnerable in this respect having known little else.
It could apply to animals perhaps. The 'cuter' the animal = more affection or food etc. This probably affects their behaviour. Could that play a part in the development of intelligence? I've no idea, just a thought.
Looks surely do play a part in a more basic sense as the bigger or brighter the plumage of some species ensures a breeding advantage.
I agree. Beauty in humans can make a difference in their status in society, the efforts required of them, their problem solving skills, level of confidence ect.

I dont think its as prevalent in animals. Although a highly prized show cat or dog might in my opinion have less ability to fend for themselves in the wild.

Greg is has a strong hunting instinct and is a far more successful hunter than arnold. He is exceedingly patient and will wait for prey for great periods of time. He is determined and learns quickly from his success. Greg would likely survive much better on his own than arnold.

And in fairness they both go after bees as did our other male cat. Its just that greg is more likely to catch them and therefore get stung.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will tell him....but im not sure he will understand.

Mind you, who is the dumb one?

Ive babysitted him outside for the last 2 1/2 hours, he will now be brushed, fed and taken inside. I will have to go out in the heat and humidity and cut the grass for 2 hours. He will watch from his air conditioned house on his leather couch.
I meant it as a compliment to Gregy’s splendid beauty!

Some say Der Baron von Komfy is retarded too!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Im bald so I'm guessing im in trouble! :lol:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was going to say the same. He took a look at it, realized it wasn't a treat he'd actually like to eat and let go. Smart boy. He's also absolutely stunning as is Arnold. They are magnificent and smarter than the average bear! :hyper:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lilith got mad at me last night because I made them come inside from the back screened in porch. She punished me by refusing to share some of the broiled lamb chop I made. She glared at me from the coffee table while Sophie chowed down on her share. Lily loves lamb chops. I sure learned my lesson. :lol: :rolleyes2:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, lots of gorgeous kitties! Toffee is very pretty, and is the most intelligent out of him and Fudge. He was the runt of their litter of four, but he has managed to get by and grow because of his intelligence. Fudge, on the other hand, is incredibly handsome and majestic but is not so bright. At all!