Is anyone vegan?

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not all Morning Star products are vegan, but some are--the ground "burger" for example. And some frozen "burgers" say vegan on the package. Also, Tofurkey and Light life make some good slices for sandwiches and "Chick" and "beef" strips for stir frys, etc.

I too would like to be more vegan some day--maybe when my kids are out of the house. I have done it for periods of time and make vegan meals sometimes, but not always. (Milk chocolate would probably be the hardest thing for me to give up forever)

I know everyone hates PETA, but they have some really good vegan recipes--"Beefless" Stew, Szechuan Noodles, and Chickpea Curry, and pina colada bread are favorites of mine. Some vegan cookbooks rely on Tahini a lot, and though I like it in moderation, when everything has it in it, it gets tiring fast.

Also, if you drink fortified soy milk, I don't think you have to worry about B12. There is 50% of what you need in 1 glass of Silk Soy milk.

And you don't have to be a total vegan either. Its very difficult to avoid every kind of animal product or product tested on animals, but you just do what you can. Its better than nothing.

I think there are a fair number of vegetarians here. Maybe we could share some favorite vegetarian/vegan recipes. I'm always looking for new ones.

Oh and someone mentioned not wanting to just eat a plate of vegetables. Vegans eat other things too--nuts, beans, tofu. There are lots of things available in health stores now too, even in your regular grocery store.

Good Luck!

princess-pickle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't mind being a vegan. I find the range of vegan foods these days tasty just as much a real meat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the advice! I've been reading through the links and everything trying to get a little better acquainted. I did try to do a one-day trial and realized that I had like no food in my house that was vegan aside from fruits and veggies

I LOVE tahini. I've been a fan of falafel since before I was even vegetarian and have some in the fridge right now. I also like soy milk. And my mom was always very into health-food stuff so even when I was young I was used to applesauce in recipes instead of egg, even carob instead of chocolate, and when she made burgers they were half oatmeal...

Snuzy you're so right about the number of vegetarians here. It's weird, I think the population on America is estimated at 2 or 3 percent vegetarian, and Canada at 4 (by the ADA) so it's strange that a site dedicated to obligate carnivores would have such a fair few. But very cool!