Is anyone else’s cat intolerant to probiotics?

catlover1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was debating switching my two-year-old cats to an Orijen brand food. However, it seems they all have the below pre/probiotics:

Dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product.

This concerns me as one of my cats seems intolerant to probiotics. FortiFlora and TummyWorks give her the runs. Is anyone else’s cat like this? I’m thinking the Orijen food may be a no-go, sadly.

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never used Fortiflora for cats but the vet did recommended it for our youngest aussie when he had terrible g.i. issues as a pup. It made our pup's diarrhea worse. I'm not a big fan of Purina products anyhow. I don't offer any of our pets supplemental probiotics but the food brand we feed both the cats and dogs, Nulo Freestyle, has a patented form of the probiotic called Bacillus coagulans in it. All our pets have done wonderfully on the food and in particular our former feral Braveheart has really thrived on it, with no more of the stomach upset and loose stools he used to have. Whether Brave's improvement is because the food simply agrees with his system the best or it's the addition of the probiotic, I don't know.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
What did you decide to do? The orijen pre/probiotics you're listing are better for the gut microbiome environment than fortiflora, which is a weak probiotic. I'm not familiar with tummyworks.

I personally would try it, with a very gradual transition.