Is anyone eating a gluten free diet

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am looking for a recipe to bake loaf bread in a gluten free manner. I have some rice flour on hand. Does anyone have a recipe using that or some other kind of flour to make bread that is gluten free. I don't mind life without pasta and other gluten, but I need myself some bread. :lol3:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Have you checked out recipe books on Amazon? I recall seeing some specifically for gluten-free bread.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you checked out recipe books on Amazon? I recall seeing some specifically for gluten-free bread.
No, but that is a great suggestion. I will look there.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gluten free here!

Generally can't go wrong with any of Bob's mixes. Never made straight up bread though as we have some good GF bakeries nearby.

Bob's Cornbread is good. Shortbread cookies are awesome!

I think bisquick has a gf mix for pancakes. My mom has also used it to fudge things like muffins and pumpkin bars... etc....

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gluten free here!

Generally can't go wrong with any of Bob's mixes. Never made straight up bread though as we have some good GF bakeries nearby.

Bob's Cornbread is good. Shortbread cookies are awesome!

I think bisquick has a gf mix for pancakes. My mom has also used it to fudge things like muffins and pumpkin bars... etc....

I live in a very rural area. There are hardly any stores that sell gluten free products or mixes. Our local grocery sells loaf bread, but it is between five and six dollars a loaf. I need some recipes if anyone has some.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So I finally have some recipes for gluten free bread. Also I have located some prepackaged bread mixes. My problem is I only have a portable mixer. It is not sturdy enough to mix these breads.
So I have a question. Does anyone else bake with gluten free mixes. If so, what kind of mixer do you use. I am looking at the Kitchen Aid mixers, but don't know how big a motor I would need to mix the breads. I know it would have to be a powerful one. Any help here i appreciated.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am bumping my thread to ask again. Does anyone bake gluten free bread. If so, what kind of mixer do you use and how big is the motor. I am struggling with my hand mixer. It just won't handle the dough. I want to buy a Kitchen Aid or something comparable, but don't know what watt motor would handle gluten free dough.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Not sure this helps, but I have used my Kitchen Aid stand mixer to mix a quadruple batch of chocolate chip cookies and it worked OK. :)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry, I missed this one. Portable mixers are really nice for cake mixes and things like that. But if you're going to get serious about bread-baking, especially gluten-free products, you need a stand mixer.

I highly recommend a KA stand mixer (that's because I have two of them and I think they're a very good product). I'm thinking that if you were only doing one recipe at a time with your breads, you would get away with an Artisan or Classic KA mixer; I think they're about 325 watts, something like that. I've had a Classic KA now for 20 years and it has stood me well. I think it's a 5-quart capacity. (I can do a double batch of snickerdoodles in the bowl, but wouldn't want to do anything more than that because I don't think it mixes larger quantities of dough that well.)

You might want to invest in the KA professional mixer though, just to be on the safe side. I have a 600 Pro KA mixer and use it for everything, from mixing several batches of cookies at one time to pizza and bread doughs. That one has a 575 watt motor and I would think it would be more up for the heavier doughs. It's expensive, but well worth it in the long run. It has a 6-quart capacity.

Just my
!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I went gluten-free earlier this year.  My favorite bread mix is: Gluten Free Pantry favorite sandwich bread mix (you can get this from amazon.com).  My husband declared it as good as any bread he's ever had.

I have a Kitchen Aid mixed.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am looking for a recipe to bake loaf bread in a gluten free manner. I have some rice flour on hand. Does anyone have a recipe using that or some other kind of flour to make bread that is gluten free. I don't mind life without pasta and other gluten, but I need myself some bread.
Donatos has come out with a gluten free crust I just saw it on TV.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My husband and I went gluten-free earlier this year.  My favorite bread mix is: Gluten Free Pantry favorite sandwich bread mix (you can get this from amazon.com).  My husband declared it as good as any bread he's ever had.

I have a Kitchen Aid mixed.

Yes, I have tried this bread mix. I just couldn't get it mixed with a portable mixer. Since I started this thread, a friend let me bring home one of her Kitchen Aid Mixers. It was the Classic model with a 250 watt motor. I was shocked. This mixer did the job with no problem at all. So I have since bought one. I priced the mixers at Penny's, Belk's, Wal Mart, Target, and Lowe's. I bought the last one in a box at Lowe's which they had on clearance for $199. I think I got a great deal. It has a 275 watt motor. I mixed up some gluten free cornbread and it did a great job.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have tried this bread mix. I just couldn't get it mixed with a portable mixer. Since I started this thread, a friend let me bring home one of her Kitchen Aid Mixers. It was the Classic model with a 250 watt motor. I was shocked. This mixer did the job with no problem at all. So I have since bought one. I priced the mixers at Penny's, Belk's, Wal Mart, Target, and Lowe's. I bought the last one in a box at Lowe's which they had on clearance for $199. I think I got a great deal. It has a 275 watt motor. I mixed up some gluten free cornbread and it did a great job.
That is a good deal.  I love my Kitchen Aid and will be using it for years..until it's old fashioned..lol.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am absolutely loving this mixer. It is so easy to bake bread now. I tried to do a search here to see if there is a thread for gluten free recipes, Does anyone know. I have a great bread recipe I made from scratch yesterday that I wanted to post.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think we have a gluten-free thread in the Recipe Exchange. Go ahead and start one! I think it would be neat to look at your gluten free recipes and I'd probably try a couple!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think we have a gluten-free thread in the Recipe Exchange. Go ahead and start one! I think it would be neat to look at your gluten free recipes and I'd probably try a couple!
I agree!  I have a gluten-free pinterest board and some favorite bloggers whose recipes I like..more recipes, I'm down for that :)

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was in the Wal Mart store last week looking at the gluten free products. I picked up a box of pasta noodles and a woman standing there struck up a conversation with me. The bottom line is her husband was diagnosed in November with some kind of intolerance to gluten affecting his auto immune system and his thyroid. Since he started eating gluten free, his doctor has taken him off the thyroid medicine. I am so amazed that the thyroid problem is now controlled by his diet. Has anyone else heard of this issue.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cousin is traveling; but I'll have to ask her if she has been able to come off her thyroid medication.  

I've been looking for more organic, non-GMO products for my family and I found a brand of boxed mac & cheese that was gluten free.  I figured it was worth trying!  The kids ate it up just as fast as the blue box stuff!  
  I'm sure home cooked is still best; but it's nice to have these standbys for those busy days!