Is Anyone an Artist? (in any way?)

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is anyone on this forum an artist? You don't have to sell your art, or be good at it, you can just enjoy drawing, painting, or doing some other form of art. I love to draw with pencils. Please tell me about your art, and feel free to post pics of your drawings, paintings, or other artistic creations.

Maybe I'll start an art group. Look later, I'll post a link to it.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I draw and paint. Those were my last holdouts of creative things (besides crocheting, which has also now been marked off my list) I couldn't do, or do well. Now, I'm much better at it. I've sold two themed paintings to a friend of a friend in Germany.

I do a lot of stuff... from sewing to painting to... well... you get the idea...

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

I crochet. I can barely draw a stick figure but give me some yarn and a hook and ill figure out something to make.
I so want to learn how to crochet and to knit and to do embroidery and things like that. I can sew a bit but not very well but I love it. I feel it just seems to work stress out.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ddodle and sometimes they come out looking pretty good.

I did my avatar with MSPaint. Does that count?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't draw to save my soul, but I love to cross stitch and can make some very pretty things!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to draw with pencils too. I tried painting but I'm not very good at it. Well, I know it takes time to learn but I don't have a lot of time.
I would love to learn to sew and make my own clothes, but I'm soooo bad at any kind of craft, we had a crafts class when I was about 6th grade and we learned to use a sewing machine and I almost got an F lol...

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I think I'm an artist, but I don't know if anyone else agrees.

I like to draw with pencils, too. Sometimes I do other visual art, like paintings.

I've been knitting for 55 years! I've made many things with my own original patterns over the years. I've also done needlepoint, crocheting, sewing, and various kinds of embroidery. I plan to learn to weave when I retire.

I am a musician, and that is where most of my creative energy (and time) has gone for the last few years. I play the cello now. I have also played (and seriously studied) the flute, piano, and classical guitar. But for years now I have studied the cello - taking lessons from first rate pros and practicing many hours (15-20+) a week.

HOWEVER, because of the current economic climate, my job, like that of many others, has become very overwhelming. I'm not complaining. I know I'm lucky to have a job. HOWEVER, my job drains my energy these days like never before. It has caused me to stop playing the cello for the last 2-3 months. I've really never stopped at all before in the last nearly 8 years. It's upsetting, but I hope things will get better soon. I really need it.

Robin

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make (sew by hand) cat beds and cat toys and build furniture. Not just cat furniture, but book cases, I've made a special bed frame, recessed (built into the wal)l shelving, desks, bedside tables. I always wanted to try a couch, but haven't, yet.

To be honest I haven't done much wood working in the past few years, my arthritis is so bad.

I also enjoy photographing nature.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose. I draw, paint, and will use various other media I get my hands on. I also do several crafts - again, pretty much anything I can get my hands on. Which is quite a bit since I collect art and craft supplies. I love 50% off sales.

I might be willing to share some pictures of my sewing projects or my jewelry, but not my art. I'm quite weird about sharing it and some of it couldn't be posted here.

ut0pia, I've told you before not to push yourself. Get you paints and paper out and just doodle random things all over the paper. Play with color and brush strokes, learn the feel of it and how to control your brush. But most of all, play around and have fun. Don't focus on painting a picture, yet.
Once you're more use to handling a brush then you can start learning more painting techniques and work towards making a "painting". But who knows? Maybe something will pop into your head along the way and you'll come up with a neat abstract or something.
Again, play around and enjoy it.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do aerial arts, does that count?
(like the lyra/hoop and silks they do in the circus performances).

I cant really draw for the life of me. I can knit, and sew some things but I'm not great at it. I also enjoy taking pictures by have yet to actually figure out ALL the settings on my DSLR.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes!

I draw, used to paint (don't have time anymore). My main creative expression these days is sewing. I make quilts, historic reproduction costumes and doll's clothes.

Currently working on a giant 9x4 patch Japanese lucky cat quilt for my bed. Aya's already given her approval for the design by sitting on the unfinished WIP repeatedly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd love all of you to join my artists group. All of you sound very creative, I also enjoy photography, sewing, jewelry making, knitting, and crocheting. If you join, please post a pic of one of your projects. It's not required, but would add a lot of interest to the group.
Thanks! Here's the link: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/group.php?groupid=23
Thank you RubSluts'Mommy for joining!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I used to draw and paint; in fact, I had planned to have an art career when I was in my late teens. I don't think I'm good enough, though, so I didn't.

I sew, mostly historically-accurate 19th C. and 18th C. clothing, which I design myself, and use only period-correct construction techniques, and safety pins and Velcro when those don't work,
I also make home furnishings, such as curtains.

I've also done extensive home improvements; I do the design and research and some of the grunt work, with DH (who does most of the grunt work!).

I also refinish furniture, usually faux-finishes, such as faux granite, marble, tortoiseshell.

I've also done most of the landscaping in our yard, and designed and helped build our fence.

I sometimes design and make my own jewelry.

I used to embroider. I can only knit one 1 thing, and have tried crocheting, but I'm a failure at that!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In high school, I did it all---drawing, painting, batik, candle-making, made my own clothes, ceramics---you name it, I did it. My Dad wanted me to attend college and major in art, but it didn't happen.
I used to cross stitch and quilt, but my eye sight has gotten bad enough I don't do either one anymore.
I still paint, do some woodworking, a lot of sewing (making and selling primitive crafts).
I think I'm pretty artistic, but don't have a lot of self-confidence where my work is concerned. It still amazes me that someone will pay real money for something I made.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I joined the group.

Im going to be looking into what it will take to make my own yarn and hand dying it. Thats something Id love to do and sometimes I have issues when it comes to shopping for yarn that I want a specific color and the selections in the store just dont flow with what I want. I have serious issues with my creative mojo being stopped because of not being happy with yarn selection.