Is anyone a vegetarian?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newtocats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have any recommended sites? Wysong makes a vegan dog and cat food...

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too am vegetarian for 30 years, as stated in the other thread. The sticking point I encounter with meat eaters is they think we only eat veg! As if they only eat meat. I have also had said to me on occassion is that a plate of veg would be boring. Well yes it would! If you lose the meat you do have to think about your food a lot which is no bad thing. I am an avid label reader and avoid all animal ingredients. It does make you realise the stuff that is in the packet products though. Do you really need all that hydro..whatisit stuff - yuk.
Anyway I agree with BK Heather - whatever way you choose, eat and enjoy

newtocats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I turned vegetarian a few days ago...even avoiding milk products and using soy...and I can't believe how easy it has been. My parents didn't even make a big deal about it when I didn't eat the ham my dad made...

Another thing is the fact that I feel SO much better about myself. I think I was hording a lot of guilt by eating meat...I started to think of the suffering, horrible lives that animals, as sweet as my cats, lived just to get to my selfish plate. I knew I had to make a change.

I an constantly dieting as well...and I realized that I think a large part of my problem was fried chicken...fast food beef...things like that that really reak havok on a dieter's body.

We'll see how things go from here. I would like to avoid animal products as well...such as gelatin and dairy...but I think that I may eat free range eggs from time to time, does this cancel out the fact that I an a vegetarian?

b.k. heather

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The web is saturated with Vegetarian sites but this one has some nice articles on different things - http://www.vegsoc.org/health/

This one is for those who have just decided to give it a go - useful basic information - http://www.vegsoc.org/newveg/

This site is also basic and useful information but it also has about a million links to specific aspects http://vegetarian-diet.info/vegetari...-healthier.htm

I think these are mainly UK and Australian sites but I am sure that you would find some in the USA - it is a hot topic. In the UK when mad cow disease became a problem it was great for vegetarians because suddenly we had access to pure vegetarian products that we never had before - You may not know that cheese is set mostly with Animal Rennet - made from the lining of a cows stomach, Gelatine is rendered down hoof and horns from cattle etc. When you decide to take your vegetarianism seriously you learn to read the labels and find products that use non animal rennet, set without gelatine - etc etc. Doesn't take long to learn off by heart the ones that you need to know but even without this attention to detail your health will improve.

On this point though be aware that sometimes when you stop adding toxins to your body it (the body) will have the energy to discharge
some of the toxins already there. You will maybe need to help the process a little. Drink lots of water, have a sauna now and then to clean the skins pores, use a skin brush, etc. etc.

Let me know if you want any further help.

b.k. heather

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think if you eat eggs the correct terminology is omnivore? spelling - eggs are actually not part of the food chain - they are part of the reproductive cycle of a chicken however I think you are to be commended for attempting vegetarianism and eggs can be deleted later on if you want too. If you still take milk products I think the term is Lacto-vegetarianism while vegan applies to someone who only eats fruit and vegetables.

With all changes take it gently and make sure that you eat a broad spectrum of veg and fruit and nuts and grain - the habit of the meat eater is to have a narrow diet - 3 veg and meat - don't take that habit to your vegetarianism. Try for at least 7 different fruits and vegies a day....don't have to be huge servings but the mix and match of the different colours and above and below ground veg / fruit will ensure that you get enough variety to give you the nutrition you need.

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by B.K. Heather
[Bwhile vegan applies to someone who only eats fruit and vegetables.

Sorry but not strictly true - vegans eat pulses, rice, pasta, a variety of beans and other stuff like nuts! Could not actually survive with only fruit and veg. Okay a bit of an exageration but the
nuts provide essentials oils and fats the body needs. Rice and pulses supply much valued nutriments as well.
I do believe they also eat chips! (french fries in USA)
You have to be careful you dont become a little 'po faced' about being a veggie - beans on toast is good too!

Newtocats- when I turned vegetarian I could not believe how much weight I lost (I was overweight at that point) Please be careful and adapt your diet if you are trying to lose weight. It is not good to lose a lot all in one go as you probably know. Anyway take care and be sensible. Unfortunatly for me my sister is an amazing cook (also vegetarian) and I am putting it all back on again. (Her cake is to die for and not an animal product in sight!)

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Persons who ingest eggs and milk are known as ovo-lacto vegetarians. Omnivores are people who eat anything that they like.

Due to the diabetes in my family, the day is probably going to come, when I will have to drastically alter my diet. Until then, I'm going to eat, drink and be merry!

b.k. heather

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ha ha - Tulip thanks for those corrections - I knew the terminology was a bit suspect but was too lazy to look it up - you could say I am a very relaxed vegetarian after so long so terminology is not a big thing - I don't try to convert anyone but do try to encourage people to keep balance when they try to switch.(I know they are not veg but I had pulses and rice in the same category as veg in my mind - silly me.) Wish I had the problem of a good cook as a sister.lol.

The advice to be sensible is obviously important - maybe Newtocats you could get a book or down load some of those articles from the links.

Cindy - Thanks for your correction input as well. I would like to say that if diabetes is an issue in your family it can be diverted or at least put off for a long time if some sensible changes take place. Having to cope with the disease and make drastic changes will make your life a misery. Why not do some research because diabetes is no fun when you get it and it is probably for the rest of your life. There is nothing to say that you can't enjoy food - wonderful healthy recipes around - including cakes that are naturally sweetened and even home made. Nothing like using unrefined food to prevent early onset disease problems....including bowel cancer as well as diabetes.

Many vegetarians eats drink and are merry. My advice would be don't wait until the horse has bolted before shutting the gate.

Incidentally I am a Natural Therapist - I am a Homoeopath and know a lot can be done to preserve health and extend the time of being "merry" even with an inheritance problem hanging over your head.

mamakat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The "Chickfu Nuggets" are pretty easy but Ive never written out a recipe for it so forgive me if it sounds funny

First, choose the firmest Tofu you can. I use White Wave, freeze it for a few days to make it firmer and then when Im ready I let it thaw in the fridge. Takes a few hours, and I also drain it before using it. Make sure you drain it well.

Then you cut it in to chunks, like little rectangles. I end up with about 20 or so pieces I think. When thats ready you dip it in Mayo and make sure all sides are pretty well covered with it. You dont have to make it thick if you dont care for Mayo, just a thin coating for the oil. Then you put them in a bag of Chicken Flavored Shake n Bake and toss til its well covered. I do these one at a time since it gets really messy.

Then put them on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake on 350 for oh, about 15 minutes max I think. I cant honestly remember, as I havent made them in almost a year. But check them at 10-12 minutes and dont go over 16 or 17 min or they will dry out too much. You should be able to tell, you want them to look moist still.

Then just let them cool a little bit, dip in ketchup or BBQ Sauce and enjoy

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamakat - wow thanks for that. I was about the ask for the recipe as well as it sounded so fab. I can never do anything with tofu how ever hard I try it is always so TASTELESS...urgh. My sis can do amazing things with it but mine is always well just tofu! Am definately going to try your recipe as I have some firm tofu in fridge just waiting to have something stunning done with it rather than the old stand by stir fry.
thanks again.
oops forgot to ask is the shake and bake veggie? If not it doesnt matter as there is bound to be an alternative about somewhere in my local health store.

b.k. heather

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mamakat thanks for that - have popped some Tofu in the freezer - will make some tomorrow. It sounds delicious.

Tulip another thing you can do with Tofu is to make scrammbled eggs -grated and mixed with grated carrot and a little cheese, you can top a pizza with it mixed in with a 50-50 cheese and some oregano or slice/cube it and dust the slices with Besan flour - (chick pea flour)- and lightly fry turning it with a few sesame seeds thrown in. Sometimes I make patties with different veg, mashed potatoes and grated tofu thrown in - it is great stuff for topping up your protein.

Actually you can do a lot with it and there are recipe books just for using Tofu.

newtocats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I am going to have to buy some veggie books to figure some fun stuff out. I have a package of the extra firm nayo I think it is...we'll see what I can do with it. I will defintiely try the chicken nugget recipe!

b.k. heather

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I first became a vegetarian and missed the strong taste of meat - mind you I could not really taste the individual yummy flavours of veggies either at that time - I was told a few things to help flavour up the veg meals. Here's my original list -

1. Soya Sauce / Tamari
2. Grated cheese and parmesan cheese - sprinkled over the vegetables
3. Ginger - a little fresh sliced and cooked with the veg
4. A little curry powder - remember that spices have to have a moment or two in a little hot oil to bring out the flavour before you add the vegetables
5. Herbs - all sorts of herbs - try adding a little fresh Rosemary to baking potatoes, mixed herbs over the steamed veg - mint with boiled potatoes - use sparingly at first - also great in white sauce or cheese sauces. Can chop up herbs for your salads as well - but chop them finely.
6. Use of tomato paste and fresh tomatoes or sun dried
7. Some of the dark gravy mixes are free of animal products - in Australia we have Gravox which is perfect for vegetarians in the original form - you can still have brown gravy with your baked tatties.
8. Also you can cook pacoras - that is vegetable battered - quick cooked in oil - like you make chips - don't eat too many thought because of the oil. You can use wonderful home made sauces and dips for them - including humus.

Just some suggestions.

I have to say that eating veg is only as boring as your intellect is dull - it is quite a challenge to create things that your carnivore friends will like but you can do it if you don't try to convert them.

Enjoy - it is a real taste experience.

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heather - thanks for the list etc, I guess I've just become lazy after this length of time being vegetarian and my mind goes blank

I do have a zillion receipe books for all manner of things but I just seem to look at pictures whilst I'm eating a sandwich and never get round to actually making this yummy stuff

I'll have to re-read and get back into gear on the old food line
even though I am a totally cr*p cook, guess its just lack of practise.
Alexis