Is anybody familiar with this pet food recipe book?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

And it occurs to me that I really don't like cooking live animals. It's a pretty brutal death... death by boiling.. I'll have to look for the pre-cooked or packaged kind.
I'm the same way, so I go for pre-cooked fresh, or canned. I just bought some canned crabmeat for Jamie yesterday for that reason (his 8th birthday is tomorrow, so he gets a special dinner).

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The crabs are okay with me... since I'm getting frozen legs, but apparently, according to the clerk who was looking at me like I was a lunatic.... well.. let's go with the short version of the story.. "I need clams, please. Can you get them for me or is there a bag or something somewhere?" "I'll get them. How many?" So after short discussion on how much meat each one produces and how much the cats can eat (during which he was looking at me like..huh?) we got five. I'm like they're a good taurine source. Blank stare. Cooking proceedure explained. Puts them in a holey plastic bag. Sister allergic to shellfish. I explain this, say.. um.. can we put them in a solid plastic bag. He says.. they're alive. I said they were frozen. Him: still alive, they'd die. Don't eat fresh shellfish that have died before you cook them. I'm like, they'll be in boiling water in 20 minutes, put them in another bag, I'll leave the top open. They're not going to escape, right? (Meantime he's looking at me like I've now gone from a looney toon to major freak...).. I was like, sister, shellfish allergy, no hospital trips this evening please. They'll be dead one way or the other in 20 minutes. So he just continues to look at me but puts them in an additional bag.. (which I then carry to the cart.. and then yes, believe it or not... then push the bag down *around* the clams so they can breathe so I can kill them in 15 minutes. I'm certain that guy is still like.. crazy cat lady. The butcher at Safeway chuckles at me regularly. I'm now known as the woman who feeds her cats raw food.

But anyway, yeah, not liking the whole cookin live critters thing. Previously dead.. okay. Maybe if I hadn't had that whole image of them smothering to death in the bag to which I felt obligated to keep them alive until I brutally killed them in boiling water.. hehe.

Ahh, the things I do to try to keep their diet balanced.. definitely canned from now on.. they might like those better anyway.

Any other sources of taurine besides clams and organs?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
muscle meat aside from rabbit has taurine ... ie chn beef lamb
.. not nearly as much as organs

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

GREAT LINKS ..... THANK YOU
You're welcome! I don't remember how I originally found that site, but it has helped me a lot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Thank you veryy much for posting those links!
You're welcome! And thank you very much for the gift.