Is An Early Introduction Always Bad?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two never had a problem with the quick intro. After the obligatory introductory hiss, I caught them playing with each other under the door, so I let them be together. Two hours later, they were sleeping together on the bed. They're very closely bonded. The only problem I have is Chester pigs down all the food, so I have to watch at feeding time.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hissing is not necessarily a sign of major problems. Hissing and even some growling are a pretty standard part of how cats establish their ground rules with each other. As long as you aren't seeing signs of physical aggression, a little bit of noise toward each other isn't a big concern, it's just a sign they're working things out between them.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ahh I’m going through this now, myself. Just came into a new kitten and it’s been a hiss and growl party. Of course it’s only day 2 so I’m not worried but of course I had that big dream of them just magically getting along at first glance. :lol: Not a chance. Oh well. I’m keeping track of this thread to hear about your progress! Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I followed everyone’s good advice, and I had them playing happily a few times today, on opposite sides of the gate (I had to buy a new wand toy so I would have 2—good investment though!). They didn’t touch noses or anything, but neither did they hiss. I’m grateful for the encouragement; I was concerned that I had made a mess of things but now I see that it’s going to work out eventually. I’m sure I’ll need more advice soon, but I definitely feel better. Thanks!!! Happy solstice

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great!!

Just keep up the positive associations and try to make every encounter as positive as possible.

Right after play feed them so it helps them calm down a bit from the play and we get more positive association. Sometimes cats can get "amped up" and play with each other after the toy goes away which can get misinterpreted. So just try to make sure they remain in a positive situation.

It will work out, don't worry.

Keep up the great work!! Well done.

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks C calicosrspecial
You are a fantastic help. Just had a good playtime (together in the room, as the gate isn't functioning as intended and kitten escaped), although the kitten got bored with toy so I had to return her to her area...after she scampered off and LK started to kind of chase her a little. Nobody hissed or got scared, so I ended it quickly! It's a bit of a pain because the kitten keeps finding new ways to get out of her gate, so I need to find a new gate to make things more predictable for everyone.
You're so sweet (like the others on this forum)--have a good day!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are very welcome, happy to try to help.

You did exactly the right thing. The key is to avoid any negativity.

It is normal for a cat (LK) to chase a cat fleeing (scampering). If something acts like prey then a cat chases. So if a chase is about to start I distract the cat so the cat doesn't chase (toy, food, calling name, etc).

Yes, a good gate is key. If one does sneak out then distracting and avoiding any negative encounter is key.

You are doing a great job, keep up the great work.

Enjoy your weekend and holiday. Always here if needed.

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh dear...LK has figured out how to hop the gate, and she ran up and hissed at baby :( Which is weird since LK was fine with baby invading “her” territory. They did have a good play session on either side of the gate with no hissing a few minutes ago, after she hopped and hissed.
Back to basics, too bad this gate I borrowed is such a charade!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not worry about hissing. That is just something that is going to happen at first and LK just needs to get it out of her system.

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s just so frustrating that the gate is continually breached by these creatures! Argh :blackcat2:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear...LK has figured out how to hop the gate, and she ran up and hissed at baby :( Which is weird since LK was fine with baby invading “her” territory. They did have a good play session on either side of the gate with no hissing a few minutes ago, after she hopped and hissed.
Back to basics, too bad this gate I borrowed is such a charade!
Unfortunately this happens. I typically double gate the door way (but it is awful to get in and out). I have seen cats climb the gate and squeeze through up near the top of the frame.

How did the kitten act after the hiss?

If you can get those baby gates that block the door where you move the lever and it tightens that is good. It isn't too bad to get in and out.

In the meantime, just keep feeding, distracting, etc.

It is always two steps forward one step back in intros. What you are going through is totally normal. I am not worried.

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks C calicosrspecial & susanm9006 susanm9006 !
The kitten was only slightly surprised by being hissed at, but she did spend some time alone afterwards. I bet she’ll be okay, she was neither terrified nor aggressive. It’s more LK I’m worried about. She was a rescue and I feel like I’m spoiling her sanctuary.
My husband is not so thrilled to be using the gate (it’s annoying, plus his loyalty is with LK so the situation is especially irritating to him), so anything more intrusive would be a tough sell. I am going to wait till I get paid next Friday and maybe just buy a better one. Plus Christmas will finally be over, so everything will start to seem normal again (and I’ll be less broke).
Thanks so much again, I hate to clog the site with more “Cat Introduction Woes” but I really need the moral support! Glad I have you :)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitten acted normal which is good.

I have rescues and have introduced rescues many time. I don't think that is an issue unless LK was seriously attacked by another cat etc. I have two cats that fought almost to death outside and they now sleep together. Things work out.

Just keep the positive association. LK will then view it as a positive or at worst a neutral. But my guess knowing what I know LK will view it as a positive addition.

You may want to close the door then when there is no supervision and use the gate when you can monitor and distract LK when needed. That is what I would do for now.

It is more of a height issue I think than a quality issue on the gate.

Don't worry about posting, always happy to see them.

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
5FF7F6CF-2AA4-4C13-A8BD-57A0A5F9CB0D.jpeg

C calicosrspecial LOL, the horizontal sections are all made out of artists’ tape! I am so bummed that I can’t afford a good one :paperbag:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry, that should work. We'll get them together.

We'll keep the door closed when supervision is impossible and use that gate when they are together using distraction to keep them in line.

It is the person and the effort that matters and I have no doubt you will succeed.