Is almost 2 years too long?

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
To me, being married is just officializing what you have already promised to each other in your hearts.....I think waiting for your dream wedding rather than setting for less than that because of pressure to speed things up is ridiculous.

You two already know you belong to each other, plenty of couples are together for years and years until they finally marry.

I think two years isn't long at all...it'll fly by and you'll have had done things exactly the way you wanted to, coming out happier in the end!!!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you both are being very responsible. People are probably disappointed because the "party" is 2 years away. And, the next time someone says you shouldn't get married because you aren't finacially stable, ask them how "stable" they were when they first got married...and ask who paid for their wedding. My bet is on mom and dad. Some people have no idea what a wedding costs because their parents paid for the whole thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to thank everyone for their kind words and reassurement that I SHOULDN'T be rushing into this without being ready financially. I was sure myself but just needed that little push. We want to have the wedding we want to have and to be able to help our parents pay for it.

Again you guys are the best and I greatly appreciate it! If i could invite all of you I definately would!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy

Thanks for all your support! This is why I love it here!

And about the "expensive weddings"

We aren't planning for a huge glamourous wedding. We have an idea in our mind what we want. We are big on bargains and making just about EVERYTHING-down to the invitations and floral arrangements. We can have a nice wedding but on a budget and I would never blow thousands upon thousands on my wedding.

We have been together for 4 and a half years and I told Trav when we got engaged was all I wanted to know was that he WANTED to be with me for the rest of our lives and I dfidn't care when the wedding was. I didn't want to rush. So we are saving for the wedding that WE want.
We were engaged for two years. It probably would have been longer if people would have stopped asking when the wedding was. We decided to just pick a date to shut people up. First it was March 2007 then we decided to change it to April 1, 2007. That really shut people up. Once we saw the reactions we decided to stick to that date and run away to Jamaica
We had a reception the following weekend when we got back. We paid for the trip and his dad paid for the reception with the money he was gifting us.

brittany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy

Thank you! We have been engaged for 6 months already but we have more important things to get in order. We want to have the wedding we have always wanted. We don't want to jump into it. We live together already so we just have those darn money problems figured out.
I know how you feel. My boyfriend and I live together, but want to wait until we can have a perfect ceremony and are able to include our whole families (who are spread around california, tennessee, texas, kansas, and nv) and we're now in washington! We are not engaged yet (hopefully soon!
) but I also want to be married in the early summer of '09. When I tell my friends that they are surprised we aren't rushing. I want it to be the perfect time for everyone, because in my heart we might as well already be married. Sometimes I feel like people judge us and think we should marry even if its just "eloping". Dont let anyone pressure you. You guys know whats best, and there is no reason to sacrifice the perfect ceremony to please others. They can go mind their own business

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was engaged for 20 months and the only reason it was that long was because I wanted to get married at the end of august and since we got engaged on Christmas eve, 8 months was not long enough to plan the wedding I wanted, so it was more waiting for the right date to come along. As someone else said, it just gives you more time to find those bargains!