Is a runt in a litter a bad thing???

mischeif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by madmanmib

I was just wondering if having a runt a litter is a bad thing?
The other three look fine and healthy I am concerened about the fourth that is smaller and does not seem as well developed as the other three.
If your kittens are still nursing from their mum you can always try and get the little one to eat at a time when the others are asleep so she/he gets a good feed and doesn't get knocked out of the way by the more dominant one's also see if she/he will take to one of the lower two nipples as they have the best milk supply. Good Luck.

PS I have a runt in my litter of 4 who are 4 weeks old and he is doing just fine. Has to be the cutest of the lot.

melsa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Big-Cat-Fan

I guess it just depends.

My Petals was Lilos' runt.

No one wanted her because she was so small. Trust me though she did not lack in the beauty department.

So after all of Lilos 6 (she had 7 but 1 didnt live past 2 days old) were given away to the best homes... she was left. And we were more than thrilled to have her as a part of our family. She has always been very healthy and full of kitten energy. Just tiny.

She eats like crazy!!!

She was just weighed yesturday and she weighed 5 lbs and 2 ounces. She is 7 and a half months old.

She is tiny.
But full of some spunk.

And here she is .... Ms. Petals herself......
She is so tiny! 5lbs., my goodness! My little munchkin Graycie weighs 8lbs and everyone always freaks out about how small she is, but then again her "brother" Jazz weighs 21lbs.....

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kittens were about 13 weeks when I captured them from outside. I'm 99% sure they are littermates. They are both tabby with the same type markings, and the vet said they were the same age. The little girl was 2.5 pounds at first vet visit, the boy was 3 pounds. Next visit she was 4 pounds, he was five. Right now, at almost 5 months old, she is 3/4 the size he is. Not sure if she was the runt, of if the difference is due to her sex. The vet said she might top out at 7 pounds, and that he is likely to be a big boy. They both have health appetites, in fact I think she likes her food more than he does!

My other cat Zakk just seems small compared to Rocky- he is 9 pounds. I don't know what his nutrition was like before as he was abandoned at 6 months. I wonder if he was a runt, or what..