Is a feral always a feral ?

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like to say that my Felix went from "feral to FABULOUS." He was feral when I trapped/neutered him and after a year of patient coaxing, he is now a the cuddliest housecat ever and is only shy when strangers come to the house.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

...SO I think it totally depends on the cat. I think that a vet who always labels a cat feral, even when it is clearly not or not always panicky and agressive would not be a vet I would care to continue seeing...
I agree with Jen - A vet who would classify a cat as feral because it growls and causes problems at the vet is not a vet I'd want to continue seeing. How a cat acts at the vet is totally dependent upon the cat's personality and has little to do with whether the cat is feral or not. All of our cats were born feral to feral parents. But they are all timid as heck at the vets - they're scared out of their minds.

I think there's two uses of the word feral. As a noun, it refers to a cat that was born outside to parents that do not have human guardians - in other words, to parents that are also ferals. A cat that was born a feral will always be a feral - but will not always act like a feral cat.

There is also the word feral, used as an adjective. My feral cats are pretty socialized. When they're around people they have come to know, they do not act like feral born cats. They love pets, treats, play, and they sleep in bed with us. But when strange people visit the house, they act like feral cats and hide. So when used as an adjective, feral can become semi-feral or non-feral.

But if born outside to parents that were ferals, your feral cat may be socialized well enough to act like a semi-feral or non-feral cat. I'm not sure I'd use the word "ex-feral" - although its use here clearly means a cat that was born outside to feral parents, but is really well socialized and now acts like a social pet.

But technically a feral cat is always a feral cat - but kitty doesn't necessarily act feral. Just as a stray cat is not a feral cat - but if living outside on its own, it may very quickly come to act like a feral cat.

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I agree with Jen - A vet who would classify a cat as feral because it growls and causes problems at the vet is not a vet I'd want to continue seeing.
I used the term "my vet" when I originally posted this. This was the very first vet they ever saw. (they were still baby kittens) We were actually thrown out of his office and asked to not come back because he didnt "work" with feral cats. I was overly angry at how my cats were treated and had it out with this vet in a very undignified way.

I then took them to another vet. My cats happened to respond to this vet a lot better. I did inform the new vet that the old vet called them feral. But they were extremely scared, they didnt hiss or growl, though .

AT that vets office, there was another vet that only worked on certain days and the other days did house calls. So I decided that I would just use him, to come do house calls. It has worked out well for us. Although, they are scared when he comes, its not the same as when I would take them to the vet.

Laura actually let him pet her, the last time he was here.

When I was looking for better quality cat food, it just so happened that the only place in my area who sold it was the "old vet", who I had it out with.

About a month ago, I went to purchase the food and they wanted to put my name, address info into their PC. I said, "It will probablly alert you to throw me out" LOL

I then explained what had happened 3 years earlier. They explained to me that the vet had since passed away. That he had a ridiculous amount of complaints against him and that he always preferred dogs to cats.

When I originally posted this question (4 months ago) I was still with the idea of what he had told me that my cats were feral. I have since decided that they are possibly just "shy".

I wish I could have a few more words with that vet, though. Because of his words to me, I have sheltered my cats more than I probablly should have. Im sure they would have been more social with strangers if I had exposed them more. But since I thought they were "feral" I thought it would scare them more, so I tried to make sure they were not ever stressed.

But irregardless they are my baby's, they love and cuddle with me daily. I could never ask for better