Is a do over possible? (re-introducing cat into multicat home - long)

cyclesarah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

I have a problem and I am praying some of you fine folks can help me out!  Back in October I posted about a stray I had found in my neighborhood that had been abandoned by it's owners (foreclosure).  In any case, I took the stray - Finley - to the vet and had him checked out and given the green light health wise (he is also already neutered).  I transitioned him from outside, into our garage and finally into our spare guest room.  As we have 4 cats already, I really wanted to find this special guy a good home, but as things were slow on the end, I also did not want him to be outside when things got cold...not to mention I didn't want him at the mercy of the local ferals and wildlife...

In any case, I slowly integrated him into my brood, where things *seemed* to be going well.  I have a bit of a dominant boy as well as a skittish girl, but everyone seemed to do well with each other, with the occasional hiss and spit here and there when personal boundaries were crossed.

Well, things went from "ok" to downright awful.  In about 6 weeks time, Finley and the other cats are in a non-stop cycle of aggression and fighting.  I honestly think it started when Fin went to play with the other cats (he is about 2, the others are 4-7 years old) and they took this as aggressive behavior and lashed out at him...which in turn put him on the defensive and he started to strike out at them.  Be that as it were, all the cats were stressed...and then the spraying started.  Fin has been spraying everywhere...:(  I have Feliway diffusers in almost every room, I have tried composure chews, rescue remedy, etc etc.  That did nothing for the spraying, or the aggression.  I am at a loss as to what to do, because I refuse to abandon this otherwise loving and cuddly cat to a kill shelter (ALL of the no-kills I have contacted are full and can't help me) as I believe he deserves a good home.  If it weren't for the stress going on around here, we'd definitely keep him.  However, if things remain as they are (fighting, stress amongst the cats, spraying) this is not possible, and not fair to my cats.

Where things stand now is that Fin is back to being in solitary in the guest room.  The original 4 cats are already back to their usual happy and un-stressed selves.  I guess my question is this: Is it even possible to do a "do over" and attempt to reintroduce Fin back into the fold, or is that pretty much impossible at this point?  I hate to have him locked in the small guest room, but I know it is better than a cage or...worse.  I am trying to find him a home where he might be an only cat, but I am terrified of someone getting him and either dumping him if he were to have an accident, or declawing him. 

Any advice?  He seems pretty good right now...we visit him for cuddles and play time several times a day.  Time is not an issue, so if anyone out there thinks we can re-introduce him to the group - even if it takes weeks or longer - I am all for it.  Also, if would a successful reintroduction take care of the spraying problem?

Thank you to anyone who can help!!

~Sarah

nettalynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel your pain! My late tortie hated the rescued kitten (Beo) whom we adopted almost thirteen years ago (both have recently passed on, and were at last, to the end, inseparable). However, they did start out on the worst foot possible (with the tortie, then about three years old, spraying around the house and attempting to attack the new little boy through/under/around and over just about every door/gate/blockade we could set up). We did for a time have the little boy living in our walkout basement and Elle(the adult) living upstairs, and it took them a good year of antagonism through the basement door before Elle would tolerate him sitting across the living room from her (while she gave frequent warning growls). I'm not sure of the dynamics/behaviors between your current cats and the new addition (Beo was a very good natured baby who always wanted to approach Elle, who seemed to take this as a sign of aggression), I do think many of their problems were because we didn't at first enforce an extremely gradual introduction process. They did eventually get along (after a year), when Elle finally accepted/recognized that he was just a socially inept baby (even at 1-2 years), and felt confident that she was ruling the roost. However, I really do think we could have reached this point a bit quicker had we taken more precautions from the start (or, had we had the sense to request a redo, as you have :)). Not knowing what you've tried the first time around, I can only offer some unspecific suggestions; one of the best books ever written on the subject is Pam Johnson-Bennett's Cat vs. Cat- my sister raises Ragdolls, and told me to read this book even before I was considering a new cat. She gives step by step instructions for introducing a new cat. A brief summary (hers is much more detailed) follows.

First, YES! Initiate operation Introduction Redo! Pretend the past days/weeks/months never happened. And then progress as though the new cat just walked in the door (it's never too late to take a few steps back before you step forward again).

So, use the safe room for as long as necessary (cats are not, contrary to popular belief, naturally solitary animals- they're a social, colony species that needs time to establish the hierarchy with a new cat- it may seem impossible at first, but it will happen eventually). When your current cats show interest in the safe room (which they always do), distract them with some interactive play (my cats have all loved Da Bird) to draw them away from the door. Be sure you maintain the regular schedule for your current cats- don't give them more treats or any more attention than usual (I've always found that many people recommend the opposite of this, but Bennett makes what I think is a very convincing argument against it: cats thrive on order and regularity- your altered behavior will not "reassure them that they aren't losing your attention" but will instead confirm for them that something big and potentially life-changing is occurring). After a few days/possibly weeks (when your cats stop attempting to claw your new cat under the door/seem less distressed by the safe room) do the Sock Exchange (it can be a Small Scrap of Fabric Exchange I'm sure, but be sure the piece of cloth is small, so you don't overwhelm the kitties). Rub the piece up cloth along the chin/jaw of the new cat, and place let your current cats smell it (if you get an aggressive response to this, give them some time, and then try again. If they seem curious, rather than hissing/aggressive, then leave the sock somewhere where your cats spend a great deal of time (their cat tree/your bedroom/etc.). Next, you will need to do this same exchange with your new cat (if you have multiple current cats, you will need a sock for each), repeat this process with your new cat smelling the other fabrics/socks (the same rules apply: if he reacts badly, slow down, if not, place those in his room). You might repeat this every other or day or so, until the cats seem to accept the new cats smells. Once they do (again, this may take some time), move on to the Room Exchange. 

For this, you may need another person to take the new kitty out of the room for you (if you have another room in your house that you can place the new cat in temporarily, do that. Otherwise, have a friend/relative take the new cat in a carrier to another room). Then, open the door to the safe room, and let your current cats venture in as they're comfortable. Let them explore it, familiarizing themselves with the new cats smells (this room graduates from the sock, which was minimal and contained, and now they must become accustomed to a room where your new cat has left his scent everywhere from rubbing around the walls/furniture/etc.). Again, watch their reactions, how comfortable they are, let them explore until they're bored with the new space. 

Let your new cat get similar exposure to a contained area used by your other cats (don't overwhelm him with the run of their house immediately). Watch for his responses. 

If all goes well, progress to a sight introduction (have a friend/relative on hand to help keep the cats physically apart). Do this from across the room if possible (my sister recommends starting out simply holding the new cat where your other cats can see but not reach). Again, be watching for their reactions, are they weary, growling, curious? As always, any signs of anxiety mean you should take a step back (another sock exchange- perhaps a few more from the new cat to keep the scent in different places around the house), for a few days, then back to the sight introduction. 

Once you've moved through these steps and the established cats are showing less signs of aggression, you can move on to letting the new cat physically meet the group. As always, watch that they go through the appropriate social niceties without reacting aggressively (nose sniffing, tail sniffing, etc.)- frequently a rambunctious young cat might skip one or more of these and discomfit the older cats by jumping right in as though he already belongs- make sure the older cats can comfortably inspect him without his attempting to initiate play time too quickly. 

As always, some squabbling will occur when a new cat is introduced into an established colony- their hierarchy is already set, a newcomer throws things off (who gets the highest seat on the tree now? who sleeps in the master bedroom? who gets first aykies on the food/water?)- this time is stressful for all of them, and it may take them a while, even after the cat has been accepted, to determine the reordering of their hierarchy. 

Elle and Beo were, after a year of squabbling (which was largely caused by good natured antagonism on Beo's part) finally established that Elle was, of course, the queen of the house, and Beo was the acknowledged clown. Even at 12 and 13 he would still have those times where he would try to bait her into a minor tussle, but they were very closely bonded within some two years of meeting. When Elle died in her sleep less than a year ago, Beo eventually stopped eating, and no number of trips to the vet, tempting treats or syringe feedings would work to bring him around- he died only two months after she did. My point is, I suppose, that cats are truly social animals- your new cat may at worst only be tolerated by the others (but they will find a place for him eventually), or he may end up closely bonded to one or more of them. Given time though, they will gradually determine how to make room for the new guy, and peace will reign in your house once again :) 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cyclesarah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Nettalynn!

Wow, thank you so, so, so much for taking the time to write up such a detailed response!  You're awesome!

I have PJB's "Think Like a Cat" but not the book you mentioned...I went ahead and ordered that (I am sure it will come in handy for many other situations!)  Fin is peacefully in his "vacation" room and I will confidently and cheerfully proceed with the recommendations you gave...because as you know cats totally pick up on stress and desperation, so I know I need to stay as calm as possible.  Hubby and I talked and we really want to do whatever we can to make this work.  So...we are starting from ground zero, as it were.

I am going to also go out and get a blacklight and find any places that may have been sprayed that I missed...I wouldn't want him to relapse because I missed one of his calling cards.  After you restarted the process with your two, did the spraying stop immediately, or did you ever have any times where it happened again? 

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to help me!  I have been so bummed about this whole situation lately, and you have given me hope. :)

Oh, the end of your story about how close they got before Elle died and then how Beo took that loss...so heartbreaking.  But how lovely they were eventually able to form such a bond.  Just lovely.

~Sarah

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You've received some excellent advice above, but I would just add that you need to clean the spots he's sprayed in specifically with an enzyme cleaner. Just regular cleaners alone won't get the smell out, and cats that pee/spray outside the box will usually do it in the same places over and over if they can smell where they've done it before.

You might have to do several enzyme cleaner treatments, but it's worth it.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/spraying-when-your-cat-uses-urine-to-mark-territory

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/9563/inappropriate-peeing-problems-answered

The first post on this thread is gone, but if you skim through you can see the relevant portions. http://www.thecatsite.com/t/16147/my-nerves-are-shot-i-dont-want-to-kill-my-cat-please-read

Good luck. :vibes::vibes:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cyclesarah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Speakhandsforme!  :)

Sorry for the late response!  Your idea is exactly what we are going to do...purchase a blacklight and thoroughly clean - with enzyme cleaner - the spots we find.  We'll see just what we are up against this weekend when the blacklight comes out!

Thank you for taking the time to post those links and for your response.  :)

~Sarah