Is 6-7 months to young to be a kittyMom?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Confession - many of our barn cats were mothers from 6-12 months old with little problems. But in general you are taking a 50/50 chance on problems that young. They may not take care of the kittens, they may have too many and you'll have to help bottle feed, etc.

While they CAN have kittens at a young age, its not recommended. Depending on how far along, the vet still can spay her even if she's pregnant. IMO its better to spay now then to go thru the pregnancy and worry about problems or finding good homes.

BTW a 6 month old kitten is about the equivalant of a teenager (14-15 yrs old) so they can have kittens ok.

If she was given shots and it was not a killed vaccine, the kittens could be stillborn or deformed!

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good luck with everything! You sound like a good cat mom!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susieinphilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey All, I just wanted to let you know that I took little kitten to the vet this morning (was the 1st day I could procure vehicle and not have to be at work at the same time). They spayed her, there were 2 fetuses, and she is groggy but fine! Now she just needs a name and a forever home! Until then, she stays here and is "the kitten".
I am thankful for all the great advice, thanks so much everyone!

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad she is ok and wont have to have another miserable heat cyle poor girl we all hate those even us human females

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our farm adopts stray cats and almost everyone of them has had kittens as soon as their bodies would allow. I wouldn't worry about your kitty. The only thing I've noticed about young mothers is that they aren't always the best of parents the first time around. To be honest....they wouldn't be able to produce if their bodies didn't think they were ready.

I hope your kitty finds a good home, good luck to her!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you got her done, good luck in finding her a home now.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

Our farm adopts stray cats and almost everyone of them has had kittens as soon as their bodies would allow. I wouldn't worry about your kitty. The only thing I've noticed about young mothers is that they aren't always the best of parents the first time around. To be honest....they wouldn't be able to produce if their bodies didn't think they were ready.

I hope your kitty finds a good home, good luck to her!
Would you like a listing of low-cost spay/neuter clinics in your area?