Irritating words

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another one that makes me cringe is when I hear someone say "me and her . . . ." which automatically says uneducated to me.

The "loose" versus "lose" irritates me to. They are not even pronounced the same so shouldn't be difficult to use correctly. One doesn't loose their Ipod and losen their clothing.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Another one that makes me cringe is when I hear someone say "me and her . . . ." which automatically says uneducated to me.
An easy way around this regardless of the second subject is to remove it and find out if using me sounds silly; if it does, it is wrong and change it ti I. I see so many people trying to be correct and will say 'this is a picture of ________ and I; it is just as wrong as saying me and her went to the store. Worse is the gratuitous (and incorrect) use of myself because people think it sounds more educated.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

An easy way around this regardless of the second subject is to remove it and find out if using me sounds silly; if it does, it is wrong and change it ti I. I see so many people trying to be correct and will say 'this is a picture of ________ and I; it is just as wrong as saying me and her went to the store. Worse is the gratuitous (and incorrect) use of myself because people think it sounds more educated.
Exactly! It is not correct but many think it is.

When I was in school, I found (and was also taught) tricks to check if one was using a word correctly. For instance, the difference between stalactite and stalagmite - c for celing and g for ground.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Exactly! It is not correct but many think it is.

When I was in school, I found (and was also taught) tricks to check if one was using a word correctly. For instance, the difference between stalactite and stalagmite - c for celing and g for ground.
They don't teach those tricks anymore, nor do they teach proper word usage. And just when I THOUGHT I had seen everything, a new one popped up on a board I moderate: "____________ and I's 1st show". I really want to fix it but not my job and for the most part, the board memebers are pretty well educated and that title is an anomaly.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A few years ago, I read an article about common grammar mistakes, and one that stuck out to me was the difference between less/fewer. Now, I don't know why, but whenever I hear them used incorrectly, it's really distracting. I have been known to shout "FEWER calories" at my TV when I hear a commercial saying "less calories" or the like.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

A few years ago, I read an article about common grammar mistakes, and one that stuck out to me was the difference between less/fewer. Now, I don't know why, but whenever I hear them used incorrectly, it's really distracting. I have been known to shout "FEWER calories" at my TV when I hear a commercial saying "less calories" or the like.

I am NOT alone!!! I find myself yelling at the radio and the TV over fewer/less. I regularly yell at announcers saying 'It is FEWER!!! You can count ___________!!' One I yell at often is a well educated radio talkshow host, and I swear, I am going to send him an e-mail correcting him one day.