Iron Supplements Anyone?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anyone here use a good iron supplement? According to my doctor I'm mildly anemic but I'm having trouble finding a supplement I like. I tried increasing iron rich foods but it wasn't enough. :ohwell:

I'm currently using one my best friend had recommended to her by the holistic doctor that helped her recover from her cancer treatments. It's supposed to be gentle on the stomach; but I'm still having issues so I've added a probiotic. :rolleyes: According to my best friend it should be taken with Vitamin C; but not Calcium.

I do feel more energized and less inclined to nap. :woo: I just wish my stomach would cooperate. According to the doctor; I don't even get the usual side effects people get from iron supplements. :dunno: I'm special I guess. :lol: Maybe a better probiotic would help too. I just got something from Walmart to see if it would make a difference. (It makes some difference.)

The doctor mentioned an iron infusion; but umm...no thank you! :running:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Floradix? It's plant based and easy on the stomach.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried Floradix? It's plant based and easy on the stomach.
No I haven't. I'm Googling that now. I should have mentioned; the one I'm using is from Protocol for Life and claims to have "superior bioavailibility." :lol: BFF really likes it so I figured I'd try that.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had anemia during pregnancy, and I was given B12 shots. Evidently, I had enough iron in my system but couldn't metabolize it without the B12 vitamins. A lot of things are interdependent like this; I have high calcium and low vitamin D, so I take vitamin D every day and the high calcium goes down.

You might be better off seeing an endocrinologist about the iron deficiency. He or she can determine the cause and treat it for you.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had anemia during pregnancy, and I was given B12 shots. Evidently, I had enough iron in my system but couldn't metabolize it without the B12 vitamins. A lot of things are interdependent like this; I have high calcium and low vitamin D, so I take vitamin D every day and the high calcium goes down.

You might be better off seeing an endocrinologist about the iron deficiency. He or she can determine the cause and treat it for you.
Interesting! My primary doctor sent me to a hematologist. He did some pretty extensive blood work. I'll look and see if it included anything along those lines. This started during my 2nd pregnancy 5 years ago but I didn't have any blood work done to check on it again until about a year ago when I finally got a new primary doctor.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A hematologist can probably treat this, too. Maybe the second pregnancy triggered something. But ask about B12 if the doctor doesn't have any answers.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I take a regular NatureMade iron and a fiber supplement for the tummy troubles. If I remember right it is only if the calcium is a calcium carbonate that you can't take it with iron. I had mild anemia a few years back and just have taken them non-stop since then. My Mom takes the same type for more severe anemia with a gummy calcium supplement and doesn't have any absorption problems.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to take Floradix. I should probably resume taking some now and then. It's supposed to be gentle on your stomach, it never gave me any trouble anyway. The taste isn't terrific but it's not bad either.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I will try the liquid Floradix if this keeps up. It has better reviews than their tablets. I notice the tummy troubles are less when I add some of the BRAT diet to my day too. We order a lot of our vitamins and supplements through Swansons online. I'm going to look there for pre/probiotics too. Sometimes they have too many options. :p

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
For great unbiased evaluations of supplements, I'd recommend consumer lab.com. Some of its articles are free and some are by paid subscription. The subscription is worth every penny. Not only do they tell you what a supplement really does, but also what it doesn't. Then it goes into which forms of the supplement work better and why. Finally it does a comprehensive, comparative analysis, even including which products might include insect parts or dangerous impurities and which don't live up to their claims in potency. They also compute the cost per dose to find a good buy. Some supplements are sold under several names and they list those, too. You'd be surprised how much overpriced snake oil is out there, and even some of that contains no snake!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For great unbiased evaluations of supplements, I'd recommend consumer lab.com. Some of its articles are free and some are by paid subscription. The subscription is worth every penny. Not only do they tell you what a supplement really does, but also what it doesn't. Then it goes into which forms of the supplement work better and why. Finally it does a comprehensive, comparative analysis, even including which products might include insect parts or dangerous impurities and which don't live up to their claims in potency. They also compute the cost per dose to find a good buy. Some supplements are sold under several names and they list those, too. You'd be surprised how much overpriced snake oil is out there, and even some of that contains no snake!
Thank you I'll look into that. Now that I'm looking online; the options are just overwhelming! :dizzy:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Several years back, I was having chronic ongoing problems with iron levels. The doctor wanted me to take the supplements. I didn't want to because of the side effects. I researched all the foods rich in iron and ate them, even the ones I didn't like. I never took the supplements. I ate beef liver, Total cereal, Blackstrap Molasses, beets and anything else I could find rich in iron. My levels came up and I never had to take the supplements. Since I now have to eat gluten free, I don't eat the Total anymore, but do continue with the others.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried adding more iron rich foods to my diet but my numbers didn't go up at all. Some of them don't agree with me either. :sigh:

I have been trying to do more research online and I'm finding more questions than answers it feels like. I ended up calling my doctor yesterday to confirm the dose he wants me to take. The nurse checked my chart and it said Ferrous Sulfate 325 2 times daily. That's A LOT of iron! Almost 4 times what I've been taking! But it's also a different form of iron than the Ferrochel I've been taking. So I'm trying to see if they are considered equal. I'm wondering if a consult with a nutritionist or a holistic doctor would really help point me in the right direction at this point! :dizzy:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Honestly I would do a nutritionist or holistic. That is a lot of iron to be taking everyday unless there is something else going on.