Iris Melanosis?

Malere#9105

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has developed a spot in his lower left eye. It hasn't gotten noticeably bigger since I noticed it about a month ago and doesn't seem to bother him. We have a vet appointment in a couple of weeks, but was wondering if anyone else has seen this in their cats?
Forum2.jpg

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
20220513_142225.jpg

Kab has a bunch of these litte flecks. He is 14 though. He has progressively gotten more as he advanced in age. It hasn't changed in a year though. Because of his age I'm really on the fence about what to do if it actually becomes malignant. Right now we are treating it as benigne melanosis. He seems happy and has no vision issues.

Malignant melanoma is treated by removing the eyes in his case it would mean both eyes leaving him totally blind. Is it right to take the sight from an animal who has had vision for 14 years? I'm not sure.

Keep a photo diary of your cat's eyes, then you will know how fast it is changing.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My ginger cat Tigger has a brown patch at the inner corner of his eye next to his nose. He's always had it and it's just pigmentation (a bit like a birth mark) but he is a young cat.

How old is your cat? Many cats get these spots as they age but always wise to have it checked out by a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Malere#9105

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is only 3 years old. We'll get it checked by the vet and a referral to veterinary ophthalmologist if necessary. Thank you all for your replies!