Iris melanosis - pupil size and spreading?

primecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 6 year old male cat that has Iris Melanosis (freckles on his eye). The vet checked them out and said his freckles were flat and to keep an eye on them.  If they spread quickly or if his eye looks bulging, like it's bothering him or if his pupils are different sizes, she told me to call an opthamologist. She last checked him about 3 months ago. Today he was in the sun and I noticed that his freckled eye pupil was slightly larger than the other one (in the bottom picture below). My husband thinks this is normal since the non-freckled eye was more in the sun, but I thought they were always supposed to be the same.  This is a picture of his eye from June 14th and one from today. I want to take him to an opthamologist but want to make sure I'm not being paranoid. Thanks for any advice!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't blame you for being worried, but the sun on one side will cause the other to be smaller, cats are gifted that way. I think it looks slightly different too because of the angle of the shot, I don't see an alarming difference between the two shots. Try not to worry unless there is a big difference between the two pupils, or the eye is bothering him or bulging. I know it's hard not to, but to worry about things we cannot change is just heartache and never brings nothing good. (at least that's what I keep telling myself!) I'm a worrier too, and all it brings me is sleepless nights, and usually things are never as bad as we think! All teh luck and keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

primecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! I did make an ophthalmologist appointment for next week but I can always cancel it. I'm going to wait for my husband to come home from out of town and get a better pic of his eye. I worry about him like he's my kid!