Involuntary Twitch when relaxed

cheryl1125

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is doing the same thing. Has anyone found out any new information?

katforcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, doesn't seem so yet, but getting answers is still on my agenda.  I was doing some deep research prior to the holiday season but got side-tracked.  Based on my research so far, my guess is that it is a malfunction of the Purkinje Cells, which are the brains neuron cells in control of wake/sleep muscle movements.  There were a couple of other possibilities, mostly related to genes passed down from Norwegian Forest cats, the specific name I can't remember at the moment since my brain is not on this track as of late.  I have insurance for my cat and at some point I'd like to get to the bottom if this, which will likely require a feline neurologist.  I will definitely post progress from that when I get to that point!  I find it very peculiar that no single vet has a clue about this issue.

Last edited:

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

its not a skin rolling twitch, its a pulse going through his whole body

i feed him, solistic,BG before grain quail, avoderm, sometimes he gets taste of the wild dry but i cut that out as cats do better without dry.
I see you mentioned solistic.  They are mainly fish-type food.  Stop feeding fish and see what happens.

ETA:  Fish has mercury, which can cause toxicity, and exhibits itself in neurological symptoms. 

Last edited:

cheryl1125

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was completely freaking out last night because someone posted on youtube their cat had it and it was a virus from a tick that stayed dormant...the cat had the twitches but that was all for 3 years then became very sick and had to be put down. I went crazy trying to find more information. My cat has been doing this as long as I can remember and is an indoor cat. She is healthy in every other way. She did have a low white cell count at her check up but I really do believe it was from stress. She is the most stressed out cat I have ever owned. Putting her in the carrier is like nothing I have ever experienced. She flipped on her back and peed like a fountain.  I'm not going to stress her out more running to the vet.  Her first blood test was extremely low but she was in the carrier for over 2 hours. The vet had an emergency.  The recheck showed one of the white cells was normal and the other was greatly improved but still lower and she was in the carrier about 45 minutes.  Makes sense it would be better. I think the twitching is worse for me watching it. She acts completely normal laying on her back.  Please let me know if you have anymore information...I appreciate it.

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has your cat been on Frontline or any other flea/tick medication since  you've had her?  If so, then I wouldn't freak out over a virus caused by a tick.  The internet can scare even the hardiest person. 

I would try keeping kitty on low carb wet food and stay away from fish-type food like Solistic or Tiki Cat.  Fish can cause toxic symptoms in cats, including neurological ones.  See if your kitty improves.

cheryl1125

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No she's a strictly indoor cat so no frontline and has never taken any medications. I'm fanatical about having anything poisonous in the house...no flowers or plants.  She seems healthy so I'm going to stop stressing and just keep an eye on her. If I notice anything else I'll take her to the vet.  I realized tonight that she doesn't do it while just relaxed on my lap when she first got up.  I am trying to convince myself if it was something serious she would be doing it all the time.  Can't help it I'm a worrier. Thank you!

kristina1989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone from this thread have updates on what this could be? My four month old kitten has just started doing it today...she seems perfectly fine, I am just worried because I let a friend take care of her for a week and I can't be sure what she ate/had access to while she was there! I am also a broke grad student though, so I can't afford to take her to the vet for nothing especially since I have to get her fixed soon anyway...she is mostly indoor and has only been alive during the freezing winter so I don't think any ticks would have bitten her. She seems perfectly healthy other than being slightly small for her age, but she was definitely the runt of her litter. 

I saw someone on this thread mentioning that it could have something to go with Norwegian Forest Cat genes...I live in Norway where pretty much every cat is part Norwegian Forest Cat, and I don't know for sure but her dad looked like a Norwegian Forest Cat, so that is a possibility!

efe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello, I would like to know if anyone in this thread found out any answers. My 4.5 year old ginger boy after being treated for his intestinal blockage developed muscle tremors and shivering. Mild. Worries me tons! I am in contact with the vet , too.

Last edited:

cosmic cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Baby Kitty 77

I know this is very late reply and I hope you ended up finding out what was causing your cat to twitch and that everything worked out OK for you both.

I wanted to mention the following today - but just as "food for thought" to you (and anyone else who might read this post) as I understand twitching can various causes

My beautiful boy began to tremble earlier this year. I feel that things that emit electro magnetic radiation (EMR) affected my boy a lot sadly, especially as he was an elder with several issues eg CKD.

I now call Wifi "Wi-FRY" because I feel it is zapping us and affecting our minds and bodies and those of domestic and wild animals - from wireless printers/wifis etc, cell/mobile phones, smart meters, microwaves (which incidentally are sometimes used to prepare some freeze dried foods, I believe), phone towers etc, we are being bathed in a "sea of EMR" in my opinion.

I personally suffer from EMR sensitivity (I cant hold phones against my ears for long as I feel burnt if I do, some wifi e.g. 4G and tablets cause my brain to do a "screen freeze" and I actually no longer use the room to which the smart meter is attached. (its now the storage room)

I really feel all this EMR affected my boy, he used to twitch/jerk often when he slept and ended up having seizures which I feel was triggered by the EMF when he was already vulnerable giving his underlying issues.

I now no longer use metal food bowls (even though I was a fan of them initially given what can be in plastic bowls) as I think metal absorbs EMF (ie much as a TV antenna does?)

I now try to turn my "gadgets" off as much as possible and often have phones and wifi at 3g, not 4g if possible/if its not critical I have the best possible reception at that time...I also have brought some stones that apparently absorb EMF. Not sure they do but the video I watched about them seemed to indicate they work based on the meter reading when the stones were tested for their effectiveness. I was going to buy special EMF shielding curtains initially but I leant (thank goodness!!) that if they are not used correctly they can actually trap the EMF in one's house, so that it ping-pongs around inside the house ...Not good...

Please understand, I am NOT saying I think this was necessarily going on with your boy....I don't know what was unfortunately causing your boy to twitch. I am just sharing my experience and thoughts re EMR......

I personally also wonder if all this EMR all around isn't contributing to the spike in hyperthyroidism in cats in recent years.....making - or contributing- to their thyroid glands going into "hyper" mode.

As many things, it seems our gadgets have a "good and bad side". I love having access to them but try to use the wifi minimally now...and keep my cat kid away from EMR as much as possible.