Involuntary muscle spasms

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't recall ever noticing this before till today. My cat was laying on the couch and suddenly there are twitches near her midsection. Only lasts a few seconds but then comes back again. I've had Marzi for close to 13 years now and have never seen this. She goes to the vet for a routine wellness checkup and so I'll mention this. She also shakes her head frequently and seems to be bothered by her left ear. This has happened before and after the vet cleaned her ears a few months ago the issue settled down. Thanks for any suggestions on the twitching. She is not on any flea medications, etc. Except for these occasional twitches, she behaves and eats normally.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't recall ever noticing this before till today. My cat was laying on the couch and suddenly there are twitches near her midsection.
My cat is almost 10, and I've had him for 8 years. Throughout his life, his back muscles periodically twitched.

It happens for about 5-10 seconds at a time, and I notice it a few times a week. If you are looking at his back, you will see the skin twitch back and forth. Sometimes he is lying down when it happens, and sometimes he is standing.

He doesn't seem to notice, and it doesn't seem to mean anything. I tried investigating this at one point, and didn't find any answers. But he's always been healthy at every vet checkup, so I haven't worried about it.

Of course, this only applies to my particular cat, and I am no vet. But it may not mean anything for your cat, either. Still wise to bring up to your vet, though.

It's entirely possible that this has been happening to your cat before, but you just never noticed until now. I am only speculating, of course.

Last edited:

Punxpunx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat does this all the time. Sometimes its to get rid of flies and mosquitoes, sometimes just does it. Its the skin that she twitches as far as I can tell, not deep muscle

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't recall ever noticing this before till today. My cat was laying on the couch and suddenly there are twitches near her midsection. Only lasts a few seconds but then comes back again. I've had Marzi for close to 13 years now and have never seen this. She goes to the vet for a routine wellness checkup and so I'll mention this. She also shakes her head frequently and seems to be bothered by her left ear. This has happened before and after the vet cleaned her ears a few months ago the issue settled down. Thanks for any suggestions on the twitching. She is not on any flea medications, etc. Except for these occasional twitches, she behaves and eats normally.
The vet can give you some cleaner to use at home. As a cat ages they can develop arthritis and they can have a harder time cleaning themselves. You can clean it with the cleaner the vet provides and a cotton ball

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet can give you some cleaner to use at home. As a cat ages they can develop arthritis and they can have a harder time cleaning themselves. You can clean it with the cleaner the vet provides and a cotton ball
I've never heard of this before, but it's good to know.

Willy is about 10 and still grooms himself just fine, but this is a good thing to be aware of.

I'm not sure if skin/muscle twitching is related to grooming issues, but I'm not a vet, so I can't say with any certainty. Just doesn't necessarily sound related.

Maybe T three4rd can confirm? Does your cat exhibit signs of having trouble grooming?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not sure if skin/muscle twitching is related to grooming issues, but I'm not a vet, so I can't say with any certainty. Just doesn't necessarily sound related.
More it was a comment about the ear related issue. If his ear is itchy, yes muscle twitching might be noticed. Muscle twitching can be a sign of annoyance or irritation. Those can be caused by sensory input.

OP also mentioned that the cat had buildup previously in the ear and the vet cleaned it.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just as an FYI for arthritis. About 90% of cats over 10 have it in at least one joint.

If you haven't already talked to your vet about it, it could be a good time.

The spasms could be caused by being itchy. Just a regular itch like we all get. But difficulties with movement means she might not scratch or roll to address it like she used to. So now you notice these spasms instead.

Arthritis in Cats | VCA Canada Animal Hospitals.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
This has happened before and after the vet cleaned her ears a few months ago the issue settled down.
If the ear issue cleared up after the vet cleaned her ears then that most likely explains what was happening with the ear.
However, the twitching with her midsection is probably unrelated to her ear. Since you mentioned she was laying down on the couch, was she sleeping at the time? If so she could have been dreaming especially if she was in a deep sleep. If not, A Alldara has a good point about the possibility of arthritis especially since she is an older kitty. Here is a TCS Article that discusses arthritis in cats:
Arthritis And Joint Pain In Cats - TheCatSite

She goes to the vet for a routine wellness checkup and so I'll mention this.
Since she is 13 years old does your vet do a senior exam with bloodwork? This Article helps to explain what to expect for senior cats:
What To Expect As Your Cat Ages - TheCatSite