Invisable fence? Neighbor problem!!!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

I don't see why the cat should suffer because you have a difficult neighbor. You're in a rural area and it's perfectly reasonable for a cat to be outdoor/indoor.
Outside sure go ahead but rural does not equate to safe in rural areas. Also I live in a rural area and as much as I love cats and dogs I don't except people to allow their animals on my property to do gosh knows what just because they wanna allow their animals to roam. It is not reasonable to allow your pet to wander on my property. I pay the taxes on it, I maintain it, I pay the mortgage (or rent) on it for my family and pets use. Not for the neighborhoods pets.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that the neighbor has every right to not have someone else's cat on their property.

The fact that the cat doesn't know it is ticking off the neighbor, but the cat's guardian does know, is a pretty clear case for the guardian needing to be with the cat every time it it outside, OR, the guardian negotiating an understanding with the neighbor, OR, the enclosure which I think is safest.

I think the enclosure is safest because a) only one neighbor has bothered to speak up that the cat is ticking her off and there may be others; b) the cat may be ticking off other loose dogs or cats and they can't be reasoned with; c) if anything happens to this gorgeous lovely kitty, it is his guardian who will suffer along with kitty.

I empathize with Grinder because I have feral cats and while I am working to get them safe, it is not overnight. In the meantime it is scary to see them go all over the place. I have talked to almost all the neighbors whose yards may be part of their area, and asked them to please let me know if there are any problems. After their TNR they are better, but it is still scary.

But in this case the neighbor has spoken up and needs to be respected.

I liked your analogy norudoru. In fact one of my neighbors has a coon mix old dog that she recently rescued. This is the sweetest dog, but he does get loose and comes right up to my porch where my ferals are. They don't seem to mind each other terribly, but as you can imagine the ferals do hit yellow alert (not red alert yet that I have seen). The neighbor explained the dog loves to hunt and kill raccoons and we have about 6 under our porch, so that is what he smells. I am sort of lukewarm about the dog visits. I don't think I want raccoon carnage and since my ferals sleep near the raccoons depending on the weather, I don't want him to make any mistakes. So anyhow, yeah I know where you are coming from. Other peoples' pets are just that- not yours. It is a terribly sensitive area.

I'm glad that Grinder posted this thread because a lot of thoughtful conversation is coming out of it.

The adoption group I work with will absolutely NOT adopt to anyone who puts on the questionnaire that they will let their cat out. Neighbors or no, this is a very controversial area. It is interesting to see all the opinions.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes you are right Noludora; I love my pets just as much as any of us here - but I also take responsibility for their actions and I respect my neighbors (whether good or bad).

We have some neighbors (long story) who had 4 cats - all unspayed/neutered and the males SPRAYED. Granted they were tied out, but they still sprayed on whatever was closest. We've talked and talked to them (long story short - they no longer have the cats - they were taken from them when they were evicted). We refused to allow them to bring their cats (on leash) in our yard....we did NOT want them spraying on anything and upsetting our indoor cats!

Whether its a cat, dog, or a child - YOU are responsible for their actions if left unsupervised. What would the OP do if the cat was a child and was over bothering the neighbor and/or neighbor's dog? Would they still find it acceptable to allow that to continue?

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep GoldenKitty, that actually happened with 2 of my sisters- I mentioned one of them in an earlier post where the neighbor's cat was freaking out her 2 cats with daily visits but I did not mention the spraying.

My other sister had a wonderful grammy kitty (now over the Rainbow Bridge
)also in a fenced-in yard, and her neighbor also had a male cat who came in and scared her cat. She was able to block off where he was coming in. This kitty then started coming to her front porch and pouncing at her cat in the window where she sunned herself in her golden years.

My sister talked to the neighbors and they sort of shrugged it off. She was so upset, she was going to go to the police. I told her to get a hiss matt but she went back to the neighbors and was able to get them to keep this cat in long enough to where her cat could get some peace. Actually I think they may have simply neutered him.

I saw the other cat one day when I was visiting my sister (in NJ!) and he was sleeping on his own porch with another kitty. He looked so calm. When I think of where the situation could have gone without the neighbor taking responsibility, it makes me very unhappy.

curly10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes this is really fascinating. I would like to ask you all - would you keep your child locked up inside for its entire life?? Because you all keep saying if the cat was a child you'd do this and that, well a cat is a CAT, it's an ANIMAL and it is in its NATURE to go OUTSIDE! Yes, it is a big bad scary world, and bad things happen, I know, my baby girl died in January, but I am not going to keep my cats wrapped in cotton wool in case they die too, although I obviously worry.This is the price we pay for loving. I think my cats would be utterly miserable kept inside all the time, and I've never met anyone who does this. I would also never give my pets mind-altering drugs that I would never take myself, I'm not suprised all your cats seem to have so many problems, stuck in a prison on drugs! Let your cats just be cats, they are independant creatures by nature, and deserve a bit of freedom.

This is just my opinion.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me there is a huge difference between my kids going outside and my cat going outside. My kids I can teach them not to go in the road, not to go in the woods, not to mess with or get on people's cars, stay out of people's yards, do not mess with a dog or any animal for that matter. Can I teach any of that to my cat...NO. I have seen to many cats and dogs dead in or on the side of the road inmy rural area because people thought it was ok to let them roam outside.

My cat is very happy inside. After he was neutered he has ZERO interest in going outside. And before his neuter he very little interest in being out there. He has been raised since 5 wks old inside period. He has no idea what outside life is or the dangers he is missing out on. My cat does not take mind altering drugs but I do understand why some poeple have there cats on them. My cat also has tons of toys for inside play, 3 kids to chase and play with, he gets the best food. My cat has a great inside life and his not miserable with us inside.

cntrygrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i'm just a new cat on the block here but after skimming this thread i want to offer the following...

i agree with the "you are ultimately responsible the well being for your cat/dog/ferret/rabbits (insert pet here). if that means keeping him off your neighbor's property, so be it. i sure don't appreciate my neighbor's cat coming here digging in my garden beds, eating the birds, chasing the baby rabbits. the cat enclosure looks like it would work perfectly under your raised deck area. it does not appear that it would protrude or distract from the "openness" of your yard in any way.

i have two cats that are indoor kitties. one does cry to go out and she goes on a leash, on the deck and i sit out there with her until she/or i get an "outdoor fix." if a leash or harness or some type of restraint isn't doable for your cat, get up an enclosure and be done with it.

quite frankly, you asked for ideas and it seems that most everyone here offered some great advice and fixes for your situation. you can continue to deny there is an issue with your neighbor and your cat and you're not going to back down. ultimately your pet will suffer one way or another for it.

i live in a farming community where there are strays animals everywhere. there are also coyotes, bobcats and other critters that would not hesitate to have any one of the strays and/or outdoor pets for dinner. you say you are in a farming community as well. you cannot predict where your cat is roaming no matter how well you think you know your cat. that's the beauty of cats; they are not predictable and always keep us on our toes. you do need to do what's best for your pet and i'm sure you already know what that is, no matter how long this thread goes on.............

cntryblessings