Intruding on meals :(

mrshutcho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My baba is about 9 months old atm, and I'm new to the site so please redirect me if there is an established thread.

Normally he is good as gold, eats, drinks, sleeps and exercises all of his own volition. Vet is V impressed with his progress after his broken home (Palmed him off at 5wk at 500g with a poorly tummy).

Now the only intrusive behaviour he demonstrates is intruding on meals. It is next to impossible to keep him away from me while I'm eating. It's not begging either, it's fully walking over me and trying to steal food. He has never been allowed human food, and I don't want to have to remove him from the room when I eat!

What can I do so that he learns this is my food?!?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrshutcho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah he'll drop everything to be nosy :/
He's quite a lap cat as well so he's normally always on or next to me.
He's a very inquisitive kitten and I have no idea how to handle it! Obvs I wouldn't change his cudgyness for the world, but I think that's part of his issue!

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess, in my household, five of them would never dream of doing that and then there's Sadie who sits right by my plate and if she thinks I'm not looking will ever so carefully extend a paw out and try to snag something for herself.  Maybe once your baby finds out that he has food and that he's not going to have to worry about not being fed that he'll grow out of it.

mrshutcho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah this is sort of the face I get [emoji]11015[/emoji][emoji]11015[/emoji]

I'm hoping he will grow out of it, he seems to have grown out of more of his baby behaviours (crying when we leave) still sucks my ears tho. Do you think it could be an attachment thing? like I want what mum's got? Haha

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a cutie.  Usually they do the suckling thing if they were weaned from their mother to early.

mrshutcho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah I read that. He was from a terrible home "8 weeks" old 500g and covered in muck :(
Vet put him at about 4 weeks when we took him for his checkup poor baba.
He's a real lady killer now tho!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love his face, his nose and his long whiskers. A complete lovely boy.