Introductions

krickette

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, we got a new kitten today, a stray. We aren't doing full introductions yet, because she hasn't been to the vet yet. But my cat Riot is very upset.
She knows the kitten is in there. She smells it on me, and is spatting and hissing and even biting me. She is nervous and hiding. I dont think she's mad at the kitten, I think she's scared. I held her and let her see it, and she growled and was distressed, but not bushy or aggressive, she wanted out of there.
She's finally settled down and is sleeping next to me on the couch, but she doesn't seem happy.
The kitten isn't upset, she doesn't seem scared at all of Riot. She poked her head up and tried to take a peek at Riot.

I'm worried about when I actually get to introduce them.

Can someone send me some links to good advice on introductions, or tell me about some experiances you've had?

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since Riot is really upset you will really want to take your time with the introductions. The protocol is really lengthy so I don't want to repeat it here. You can find intro protocols at the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) website. Pamela Johnson Bennett wrote a book regarding multi cats households.

Important points about the introductions will be to let the cats set the pace of progressing from one step to the next. Each cat must be free of fearful and/or aggressive behavior before you move on. This will probably be a different length of time for each cat.

You have to find the very best rewards and treats for Riot. You also mentioned being "worried" - it is important to be calm for the cats.

I have two cats - one takes hours to introduce to a new animal and one take weeks.

Be patient with them.