Introductions when there is no spare room?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by feral65

I do not recommend shutting your cat in a room for the sole reason that your existing cats have already claimed that space as their own. While it may seem to you the cats are "less intense" after a few hours, things can change very quickly once you let the new cat go. the existing cats will likely immediately go for the bathroom and possibly even "mark" it by peeing. they will then seek the new cat, who likely ran for the nearest bed to hide under, where he/she will stay for days.
It seems you have had unusual experiences. This is not the norm when separating cats during introductions.

Trixie, you handled the introduction very well. As most of us here at TCS will agree, it is best to do gradual introductions. When Mika came into our life she was easily 1/2 the size of Bijou and for us to leave them together unsupervised would have been more cruel on our part IMO. We did a very slow introduction (4 weeks) with supervised time together before ever leaving them together alone.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Im not trying to say Im right, maybe the other method works but I noticed my cats where more stressed face to face then they were when I used that method. Heck I got really lucky that they took to each other after 3 days! I honestly wouldnt do it any other way. a ton of cat sites recommend it, this site does, humane society, vets recommend it, etc. So Ill go with the words of the pro's

feral65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

It seems you have had unusual experiences. This is not the norm when separating cats during introductions.

Trixie, you handled the introduction very well. As most of us here at TCS will agree, it is best to do gradual introductions. When Mika came into our life she was easily 1/2 the size of Bijou and for us to leave them together unsupervised would have been more cruel on our part IMO. We did a very slow introduction (4 weeks) with supervised time together before ever leaving them together alone.
Yosemite, you are right. Trixie handled the introduction a heck of a lot better than you apparently did.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by feral65

Yosemite, you are right. Trixie handled the introduction a heck of a lot better than you apparently did.
Where did that come from?? I don't see any part of Yosemite's post saying she had issues with her introductions.

It's great that your method worked for you and it may very well work for others. However, that doesn't make every method other than yours wrong. All cats are different and not everything method will work the same with every cat.

Please remember that we are here to educate and learn from each other, not to put down others.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, i made a post about about the head way i have made with them, check it out,lol