Introduction To New Kitten

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been reading a lot and actually did the recommendations when introducing my kitten #1 now 9 months to kitten #2 now 7 months. It did take a bit of time but they are now best of friends. I am thinking of adopting a third kitten and what I haven't read about is when you have 2 you are introducing to a new kitten - should they all be introduced together? Or should I arrange for each to meet the new addition separately? I will be keeping the new addition in my bedroom at first and will probably do some sort of a screen so they can see each other after a few days, but not be able to touch. My female calico is the boss and I expect the most hissing from her. My younger male tabby follows his sister's lead. What are your thoughts?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! You will have to go at the pace if the slowest cat, so whichever one that might be, that's the one who will require the most time, patience and accommodating :)

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My two boys were a little older, about 2, when we got the third kitten. Everyone was neutered, which I think was a huge help.

We kept everyone separated for a week and then did a site swap to let the boys check out the new kitten smell in her room. Then there was the baby gate visits where we noticed that Barry was more curious and accepting but Duncan was a little hesitant but everyone was calm. And Paisley the kitten just wanted out to play - she climbed both baby gates.

We introduced all three at once but kept a close eye on everyone ready to separate if needed. Although I expected that I would end up introducing Barry and Paisley and then getting Duncan into the mix, they settled in together pretty easily. Otherwise it would have been longer visits for Barry while Duncan warmed up - like Furballsmom Furballsmom said - at the pace of the slower resident cat.