Introduction/ reintroduction advice

jaimie duncan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've found and read a dozen articles on introduction, done it successfully twice, located a bunch of great threads on here on the subject... but I'm still hesitant in my particular situation and would love some advice, practical tips (and maybe a hug, to be honest) from some of the wise old hepcats around here. 

As briefly as possible:

Mid January we lost our male cat Watson. He is survived by our five year old spayed female, Lil. Lil is a high strung girl who is outdoors during the day and inside at night. 

Four days after we lost Watson, Oscar came into our home to stay. Way sooner than we had intended to get another cat but he came from a foster network and needed desperate rehoming, like, RIGHT NOW. So... He was a six-seven week old shelter kitten, unvaccinated etc. He seemed bright and healthy after we brought him home but three days later he spent four nights at the vet with cat flu. 

We brought him home, popped him in the spare room with trays, bowls etc. The spare room has a glass door. It took Lil two days to realise he was there.  We occasionally cat sit for a friend so a strange cat in that room was not new. She sniffed at the door a few times and ignored him. Then, just as she got interested, he had to spend four days at the vet. We let her into his room for a good sniff around (she is up to date in her vaccinations and we removedd bowls etc). Just as we brought him home again and we looking at restarting the process, several things happened: my husband, formerly home all day, went back to work full time - a severe heatwave hit the area and overwhelmed our rackety old aircon -  Lil began to realise that Watson wasn't coming home this time and that the new cat was back - and she developed stomatitis and stopped eating. 

In response, we began letting Oscar out into the cooler parts of the house during the day while Lil was outside (by choice, she has cool spots under the house), desperately trying to help Lil with her pain and her grief using  Rescue Remedy, medication, cuddles and every catfood imaginable, reinventing her routine to accommodate husband's absence and Oscar's presence while still keeping her core events (food, bedtime, outside time) intact and adding some regular before bed play to her day now Watson wasn't around to hog the toys.

Ten days later we had stabilised into a routine that has not changed much since then: Lil has breakfast in the morning while I use Feliway spray in key spots of the house. She has some pats then heads outside. Oscar is let out and has his breakfast and a run around. If nobody will be home that day, he then goes back into his room. If someone is home, he stays out all day in the house. (Thankfully the heatwave just ended) Lil stays out all day. Before dinner, when we get home from work, Oscar gets dinner in his room and then stays there all evening. I spray Feliway again.  Lil gets dinner then pats. I attempt to get her to approach Oscar's door using treats, she sees through my ruse and turns up her nose. Later we play with wand toys and she gets second dinner (usually a scant handful of dry food which she loves). One of us will spend some time playing with Oscar then go through his bedtime ritual (play, snack, lights out).  We go to bed with Lil. 

Lil does not like Oscar. She is not interested in him except to swipe at him with intent to wound. When she comes inside in the evening, she alternates between trying to find that other cat, acting scared, acting annoyed and rubbing her own scent over his. I think last night she sprayed.  I understand that the house is basically his scent territory now and that makes her uncomfortable. When we first brought him home, she did not react to his scent on us, the carrier or the cloth I used for transfer. Now if I try scent transfer she pulls away and gets upset. Two weeks ago I got them to the point where I could let Oscar out if his room and give them snacks a few feet away from each other for two minutes. Except he is a kitten and her tail was twitching. Fur was flying a few seconds later. Now her fear and discomfort is now starting to manifest as disinterest and aggression. We have dialled back to keeping them seperated, no shared treats. 

I'm actually scared now that irreparable damage has been done to Lil's perception of Oscar. I'm really worried by the next step - no idea what I can start doing to move forward again. It's going to be a long time before we can give them face time again: Oscar has to jump and wrestle on everything and Lil will kill him if he touches her.  I can't do the whole "just move the food bowl closer together" thing as Lil has always only eaten from her bowl if it's in a particular spot. If it is moved, she won't touch it. Like I said, hiiiiigh strung. 

Plus husband is only kind of on board with the whole cat psychology thing. He gets that we can't just let them duke it out, that there is a process, but his stuff always comes first, and that makes it difficult to get him fully engaged in any daily cat routines. So, anything that is done needs to be able to be done by me alone and my work hours are a bit irregular. 

I'm open to your words, cat people. Advise, chastise, comment at will. Where should I go from here? 

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did Watson share Lil's outdoor life too? I am asking because my cats are indoor outdoor and recently I adopted a kitten. Nyan is playful, curious but prefers the indoors for now. So like your Lil, when my crew goes in for the night, they know there's a newbie around. I haven't had a problem with introducing the youngster (or any other previous newcomers) and I have done the process -  3 day separation, supervised first and second encounters and the scent exchange. This one is more of the newbie smelling like me. Nyan got to sleep on my used old shirts, petted with sweaty hands (it sounds yucky and I did it by wearing those tight fitting plastic gloves to make my hands perspire). I think my crew thinks of Nyan as my kitten. I also hiss if one starts getting too aggressive towards Nyan. 

I must add that the alpha cat pretty much accepted Nyan so that helped too. 
 And since Lil sleeps with you at night she might become more accepting of Oscar if he starts smelling like you. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaimie duncan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, Watson was indoor/outdoor too. The two of them were kittens together which made the introduction easier although Lil was still pretty slow to accept him. I'm concentrating on scent exchange at the moment to plaster the kitten with Lil's scent. We've let him continue to run around the house during the day so his scent is added to the normal household blend and becomes a normal part of the furniture. 

Nyan is the cutest kitten name!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaimie duncan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help! This introduction is turning into a disaster and I don't know what to do. 

We are now in the situation where every trick I try Lily clues into and shoots down. For example, scent exchange: after five days she started hissing and hiding when I came to her with the sock I was using. I even tried using the brush as she loves her brush. Now she won't come near it. Play: I've been swapping out the toys so she can associate his scent with fun. That lasted for a fortnight and now she won't come near the toys he has touched. Food: doesn't work. Full stop. She has started being overtly aggressive toward him on the other side of the door or flyscreen. She has started some truly extravagant urine marking/spraying behaviour (how do girl cats get their pee that high? Jump? Tip toes? Is she trying to write her name?) The Feliway appears to have stopped having much of an effect. I'm just about at my wits end. I'm so stressed about this I want to cry and give up. For the first time I'm thinking of how we might go about rehoming Oscar because it's clear she has made up her mind that he is not going to be allowed in her house. 

Oscar, on the other hand, is not helping. He is now just over three months old and starting to get crazy physical. He's strong and fast and cannot stop moving. He's still intimidated by her swiping at him through doors etc but less and less so each time. He has to spend a lot of time in his room because of Lil's aggression and anxiety and he's going stir crazy. We play as much as possible but it doesn't even slow him down. 

My husband resolutely refuses to give up and consider rehoming but he's not the one coping with the day to day of this process. He thinks that time alone will solve the problem. I'm losing my ability to fight this battle (which is what it feels like every day). 

Please tell me your stories of introductions that looked like they weren't going to work but ended up okay. I need some good news right now! Any practical advice or tips are desperately needed. I don't want to rehome the kitten but I can't see any more ways to try to build positive associations and deal with this.