Introduction Experts

gilbert&liam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 1 year old cat that we have had since June. Yesterday we adopted a 2 year old. We let them briefly see eachother through the cat carrier and my one year old hissed a couple of times. We have been keeping the newcomer separate, but today we opened the door a crack so they could see eacother. There has been no hissing, but little "prowwl?" sounds from both and pawing at eachother through the door. Is this a good sign?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gilbert&liam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes, we have done most of this and tomorrow we are going to allow them to swap rooms so new guy can see the rest of the house, and my 1 year old can check out the room he was staying in. New guy seems very comfortable and antsy to explore. My 1 year old seems timid, but curious. i'm just worried about one of them leaping at the other an attacking when we finally do introduce them and how soon we should.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
If you can feed them on either side of stacked baby gates or something like that, where they can see each other but not reach each other, that could give you a little better idea of how they'll be together, possibly :)

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry at all about hissing and growling, this is normal communication and it is good to happen so the cats can learn each others boundaries. But also remember it could take months for them to peacefully coexist so don't rush things. They will also pick up on your stress and tension. So supervise when they interact but don't worry about hissing and growling. Watch for bloodshed and fur flying and serious things like that to intervene.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There has been no hissing, but little "prowwl?" sounds from both and pawing at eachother through the door. Is this a good sign?
I think so. But don't rush things. Generally the slower introductions work out the best. Good luck. Keep us update on their progress.