Introduction advice please!

brierkelly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well her food is actually like 5 feet from the bathroom door at the foot of the island counter in my kitchen. That's why she isn't comfortable and I'm probably going to move it to my room.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat hunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah I see!

We've just had a hissy episode here, so Mele is back in her room. She got too close to RoRo as she was drinking some water and there was serious hissing and growling. Poor Mele just wants to be friends! lol! 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Just catching up and I'm rather impressed!  I do hope it keeps improving..

cat hunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Mani - it's going so well! They are sat together in the sun at the moment. Well about 3 foot apart. If Mele gets closer than a foot, then RoRo gives her a warning growl. 

RoRo often goes looking for Mele, so I think she likes her really. 

They are peeing in each other's litter boxes - this is a good sign right?

brierkelly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Using each other's litter boxes is definitely a good sign! They are accepting each other's scents I think

Over here, Pepper hasn't hissed under the door. Now that her food is in my bedroom she's eating. She seems more comfortable.

She watched Lilo cry and put her paws under the door and just observed so I think that's good. She didn't hiss or growl. I think tonight I might use the crate for a face to face introduction after I have Peoper play on Lilo's blankets with catnip haha.

cat hunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, sounds like things are progressing with Pepper and Lilo! Glad to hear Pepper is more settled too. Good luck with the crate introduction - let us know how it goes. 

I'm now keeping Mele locked up at night only. The two of them have been out together all morning, with only one hissy fit so far when Mele bounced too close to RoRo during playtime. 

brierkelly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pepper and Lilo had their first cracked door experience last night. I was in the bathroom with Lilo and Pepper pushed the door open a little bit. She hissed the entire time but she didn't go away, and this morning she hissed at her from under the door. But I guess that's normal!

The good news is I put catnip all over the blankets and towels wit Lilo's scent and she rubbed all over them!

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

I'm now keeping Mele locked up at night only. The two of them have been out together all morning, with only one hissy fit so far when Mele bounced too close to RoRo during playtime. 
How's it going, @Cat Hunter?  It's sounding good so far.

brierkelly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's great progress!!

Less so here lol. I had Lilo out in a crate. Definitely lots of hissing from Pepper but she did get closer after an hour and seemed more comfortable.

I let Lilo out while my parents were here and she was VERY hyper and wanted very much to play with Pepper. They got VERY close (a foot) but Pepper stood her ground. Did not run or hide. After two times Pepper swiped at Lilo I put her away. I will try again tomorrow when Lilo isn't in her nighttime hyper state.

Wishing for the status of your two! Are they eating near each other?

cat hunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Things are going good here! They both now have free run of the house!

We actually went out for most of the day yesterday and came home to see the both of them peeping around the corner together at the front door! 

There's been a couple of squabbles this morning, because Mele thinks it's clever to attack RoRo's tail. RoRo soon makes it known that it's a bad idea lol!! They are both eating in the same room now too and they seem to both be sharing the same litter box most of the time (there is a second). They are still getting used to each other, but RoRo still doesn't want to get too close, but they do follow each other around! RoRo sleeps with us in the night, and so far Mele has not tried to join. She did jump on the bed this morning only to be greeted by a huge growl from RoRo! 

Mele is driving us crazy with early morning miaowing though! She seems to want the whole house to be up at 5.30am. So we are trying our best to ignore her and not respond. My husband went to work a very tired man! 

Brierkelly - sounds like you are making good progress. Pepper sounds a lot more confident around Lilo. And a bit of rough and tumble is to be expected. 

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
That sounds excellent!  Well, apart from the early  morning wake-up call..

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Progress!  Not sure they're wildly happy about being captured on film.. Mele is definitely giving you 'the eye'.. 

cat hunter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey kntrygrl - I was proud of them until Mele decided to sniff RoRo's butt yesterday. She got right in there!!! It did not end well lol!! 

cecee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My suggestion is this, you need to rub towel, the one who is hissing or growling, all over the body. Once you do that, rub the towel to the other cat. With the same scent, they know they do belong in one pack.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You have beautiful Cats!

You seem to have a handle on the situation so need no advice from me. Some cat intro's take longer than others. I had one experience in which my two cats met far sooner than they were supposed to , after only two days with the new cat in the house, I freaked out but they just touched noses and by the second night were sleeping intertwined.

Years later I had the same thing happen and that ended badly, in the end it took two months for me to re-introduce after which all was peaceful. It is always a tense time when introducing the newbies.

I am happy for you( and the cats) that it is going well.

playerdark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like progress.

I hope the meow will go away. I recently took in our Garden cat with our long time house cat and they get along too. The garden cat made a lot of noise in the beginning but now is mostly quiet, I think when they learn that they dont get a reaction, they will stop.