Introducing Two Cats - Complete Disaster. Please Help :'(

snowymoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To cut a long story short, I have an older male cat who tends to be very skittish and shy. I just got a new, very young female who is very outgoing. She's been very cool and calm, but he seems very unhappy and stressed.

He hissed at her, a bit of growling, to be expected. She seemed largely indifferent and didn't display any aggression in return. With guarded brief meetings, they seemed to be slowly acclimating.

Until this afternoon. I don't know exactly what happened - it was completely out of the blue, and it happened so fast. I went to pick up my older cat to bring him back upstairs, and he meowed in surprise. Then boom, suddenly she comes out of nowhere, pounces on him, theyre entangled around my arm, and there's horrific screaming. My arm was in between them, so I immediately pushed them apart and whisked her back to the guest room, and him to my bedroom where he usually sleeps.

I got clawed a bit, but I checked both of them for injuries and found none.

She seemed to calm down quickly, and is back to her usual cuddly self. He, on the other hand, was extremely grouchy, growly and upset, and it took him a long, long time to calm. I bought some cat pheremone spray to try to help him feel better, and it seems to help. But he's clearly distressed.

Yes, I know I'm a colossal moron. I know this is all my fault and I seriously, seriously screwed up. Now, I'm absolutely terrified to let them meet again. I'm back to square one. What can I do? I feel absolutely horrible... And I'm totally lost. Please, please, help me.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello snowymoon snowymoon , have the cats been formally introduced to each other? It takes awhile for them to accept each other.

It's best that you keep them separated for the time being and begin a proper introduction. Here's an article on it :-

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats

Don't feel terrible, not everyone is a master at it. Don't blame yourself for it but just have love and patience.

Keep us posted on the progress :wink:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you may have got in the middle of some redirected aggression:-
Re-directed Aggression In Cats

Separate them for now, give them some time to decompress, and give each of them plenty of love and reassurance. Go back to scent (and maybe site) swapping for now, and once they've both recovered start again with visual introductions. In future, make sure one cat is securely shut away before moving the other ;)
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
You, Your Cat And Stress

Interactive playtime is a wonderful stress buster, and will be a good outlet for each of them individually. This will be particularly important for your boy, as it helps rebuild self and territorial confidence.
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know

If the pheromone spray is helping, it might well be worth getting some diffusers, so that there's a steady level of it in the air.

You are NOT a moron. Accidents happen. Just put it behind you, and start from where you are now. It may take a little more time, but it WILL all work out :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: