Introducing Pregnant cat to new home...with 3 males (neutered)

meowstheword

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wondering what is the best advise for introducing a pregnant cat to new home with 3 males. She's already kinda met the most kindest one (shyest & timid). They seem to tolerate the others existence, but I feel meeting the other 2 would be too much!! Also, she is just days away from giving birth (she found me 2 1/2 wks ago - was on my door step).

Thoughts?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The best is simply, to keep them apart.  You will anyways as a rule keep the mom and the newborn for themselves.  Even breeders do so.  Unless some of the other cats is her very best friend...

So, if there are no health issues making need  of quarantine, you can let her be pal with the kindlest of the cats, whom she already met.

But otherwise, dont stress her now,  keep them apart.

Good luck!

ps.  Are you somewhat experienced with  obstetrics, delivery, etc? do you need some links or do you have more than enough of them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowstheword

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This will be my first litter...I've read tons of what to expect and what I need, but I don't plan on interrupting or intruding in the birth unless she needs me or I sense a problem.

chloejune

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Congrats on the litter. I hope your cats get along.

I just wanted to chime in with some tips on the birthing process considering that I went through with it yesterday for the first time.

If you sense the time is very near, I would strongly suggest if you're not home to close your bedroom doors.

My stray kitten had her littler on my  bed and blankets. You'll know the time is near if 1) she looks HUGE and 2) her appetite has reduced from what it used to be.

Nature will take its course but if your cat trusts you and lets you be near her and her newborns you'll want to do what you can to help the process along - such as moving newborns out of the way for newer newborns, moving the newborns in a better position so that momma can chew off the umbilical cord, and eventually making sure each of the kittens have access to a nipple.

Nitrile gloves were the most useful, as were: A plastic/garbage bag (for containing placenta and discarded gloves). A small plastic bottle or two that you can fill with hot water to warm up a second nesting area where you'll want to keep the newborns temporarily in case you think the mom needs space for more kittens. 

Good luck! I'm sure everything will go fine. My cat took about 4-5 hours to deliver all 6 of her kittens. Sometimes it took a while before the placenta following each newborn was pushed out.