Introducing Older Cat to Newbies

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi all

This time last week I would not have expected to be in this situation!

I adopted a cat and her kitten from a local rescue - I agreed a pick up of yesterday after we went through everything on Friday. However on Friday evening my poor elderly neighbours were taken to hospital and their cat decided to move in with us. I don't mind as he has nobody else to look after him. I put him out when we are not there as I am not sure about his litter situation etc, but he sleeps in our kitchen when we are home.

I got the rescue cats last night and they are adorable! I am keeping them contained in our sitting room.

What is the best way to introduce the cats to each other? The older cat is about 9 or 10 and pretty chilled out. I would really like to give the new cats access to the kitchen soon, as this is their forever home whereas the other boy is hopefully only temporary!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on the new additions to the family.
The very first thing is to get new kitties established in a base camp (their own room with everything they need litterbox cat beds scratchers etc) These things will help later during the scent swapping.
Later on you can feed them their meals on their side of the door with the boy on the other side of the door only go as close to the door where they are all comfortable eating and walking away ignoring the door
Once you get right up to the door this is when you introduce sight. Still feeding on opposite sides of say a baby gate. Once this step is over you should be able to start letting them near each other.

Good luck with everything and please keep us posted on the progress.

Here are a couple links that should help with the introduction

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These things just take time, and a lot of it. Sometimes it takes a while to get everyone comfortable, but in time it WILL happen. just take it slow and easy and take the steps above. don't hurry things. cats almost always hate each other in teh beginning, but eventually it all works out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey guys. I appreciate the replies. I've been pretty busy! I think I had built things up in my mind, whereas in reality it is going great. My two new kitties are really happy in the sitting room. They are brilliant with the litter and are eating well. They are very playful.

The older cat is oblivious and is coming in, eating and then sleeping most of the day.

I don't feel any pressure to introduce them at all as the newbies are so happy in their little environment ❤