introducing new kitten

sheltieluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just adopted a 10 week old kitten hes a black longhair ball of fluff so cute!! I named him binx. Hes very loving. I do alot of fostering and raising bottle kittens and a of my kittens that ive kept were already used to the dogs and other cats.

The first day i put him in a room by himself he could check out under the door but didnt feel threatened next day i let the dogs sniff the crate when i brought him home from the vet and let him come out on his own. He will lay with the dogs but there is still hissibg and growling. The cats he swats and growls and hisse. I know hes young and it will take time but is there anything i can do to make it easier on everyone.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat introductions can take months and have to go at the pace the cats are comfortable with. They need to be separated completely at first in different rooms. Then you feed them on opposite sides of a door, moving the bowls closer and closer. Then start over with a covered gate, then just a gate. Watch Jackson Galaxy's video on cat introductions. They also need their own litter boxes and food and water. A ten week old may also be too young to have full run of the house for now.

Don't rush them!

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm unfortunately no role model for isolation as it never seems to last more than an hour, no good place to keep them without them sneaking out. I just adopted miss Penelopy 
 yesterday and she has been already out with all the others, dogs included. Dogs were in mom's room last night like they always are and then came out again this morning. Was a bit easier this morning than last night. 

Btw, congrats on the new fluff ball! :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm unfortunately no role model for isolation as it never seems to last more than an hour, no good place to keep them without them sneaking out. I just adopted miss Penelopy :blackcat:  yesterday and she has been already out with all the others, dogs included. Dogs were in mom's room last night like they always are and then came out again this morning. Was a bit easier this morning than last night. 

Btw, congrats on the new fluff ball! :)
I'm glad this works for you! It won't work for all, or even most, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sheltieluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its not horrible i think its more scared and unsure. I dont let him have run of tge house yet just when im come hes out. I dont want to keep him totally secluded as i want him exposed but i let them work it out for the most part. Hissing and growling is i gues normal and my dogs take signs very well.

They were all laying in bed together this morning Binx was playing with the tail of one of my dogs so i think in time they will be friends or at least learn to live with each other.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad this works for you! It won't work for all, or even most, though.
Ha, I wouldn't say it works, more like we have to work with it. Back when we lived in the city, we were on the 2nd floor of a two-flat that we owned and had way more critters than we do now. People just often brought us critters they found and we didn't have the heart to turn them away. So we had cats and even dogs coming in quite often. And in a tiny apartment, there was no such thing as "isolation". Our home now is much bigger, but also more open, so isolation is still difficult to achieve.

We tried to isolate the kittens when we got them in July, who had worms at the time, but they were so tiny they were able to squeeze through the opening at the bottom of the door. After that, it was Strongid for the whole brood!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not horrible i think its more scared and unsure. I dont let him have run of tge house yet just when im come hes out. I dont want to keep him totally secluded as i want him exposed but i let them work it out for the most part. Hissing and growling is i gues normal and my dogs take signs very well.

They were all laying in bed together this morning Binx was playing with the tail of one of my dogs so i think in time they will be friends or at least learn to live with each other.
You are may be making a mistake. It is scared and unsure because it needs time to few secure in its new location. Let your kitten have one room only to conquer for a few days. After that you begin introductions again, or let the kitten out to explore while the others are closed in the kitten room. This way you swap scents and experiences.

You could be causing problems with your resident cats down the line, like not using the litter box.

You will visit the kitten and spend time playing, but everyone needs time to adjust now. Letting them work it out could lead to permanent issues later or an injured kitten.