Introducing new kitten to "teen" cat. Want advice.

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, iv been here before when i first got Mikey my Burmese..

Anyway.. Well somebody abandoned a small kitten in the parking lot where i work.. I found him Tuesday morning by the door crying his little heart out. Well he was very emaciated, and dehydrated. So i took care of him till the end of my shift keeping him in a box, and then took him to the vet after work.. He spent the night and they pumped him full of fluids and gave him a checkup with a clean bill of health. Still too young for his shots yet, about another month.

Now, here's where i need advice.. I brought the kitten home today, and am currently keeping him in a carry cage and in the bathroom.. I let my cat Mikey "meet" him my looking through his carry cage. And he looked at him for a minute curiously, then hissed at him.. Not a real bad hiss, but a hiss none the less. So i put the kitten back in the bathroom, and Mikey was a little whiny for an hour or two, but he seems ok now.. He hasn't seen the kitten again yet though..

I know its only been a few hours since bringing him home but im a little worried that Mikey wont take to him.. Im hoping because the kitten is so young, and Mikey being quite young he might eventually warm up to him. Do you guys have any advice, or things i can do to make sure this works?

The main reason im worried is because of what happend with Mikey and my older cat Joey, when i first brought Mikey home.. Joey wants nothing to do with him, and hisses and growls at him whenever he seems Mikey. Mike was about 3 or 4 months at the time, and Joey was almost 7.. But Joey is kinda like that, hes not friendly to anyone or anything except me and my family. So maby its just how Joey is.. But its not much of a problem because Joey lives upstairs, and Mikey lives downstairs with me. But im worried if Mikey doesnt take to Smokey, i dont know what ill be able to do, cause they are going to have to live downstairs together..

I can and am going to keep Smokey segregated to the bathroom untill hes a little bigger, only letting him out when Mikey is outside, and im there with him. But eventually im gonna have to let Smokey roam..

So any advice to help me along would be great.

Mikey is a little over a year old.. And the new Kitten is 4 weeks old. His name is Smokey by the way..

Here is little Smokey..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Really? 24 views and no reply?

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi! Don't be discouraged by the lack of replies! Some of us simply don't have any experience with introducing new cats to homes that already have a cat ( I am one of them.)

Smokey looks really cute and it's really great that you saved him.

Here is a thread on how to introduce new cats to old cats.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67321

Hope it helps!

Best,
April

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never done cat introductions so I can't help you, but I have to say that Smokey is just adorable!!

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the articles.. I'll be sure to take this real slow.. They briefly met twice now.. First time Mikey just walked up to the cage, sniffed, then gave out a hiss and walked away. The second time, he was laying down in the game room, so i put the kitten (in his cage) down on the floor in the middle of the room. Mikey didn't act upset at first, just kept laying there, and stared at the kitten, but would not approach him.. After about 5 minutes i put the kitten back in his room. Then went over to Mikey too reassure him he was top cat, and you could tell he was a little upset, hissed a few times and whined a few times.. Then when he heard the kitten crying from the bathroom, Mikey wanted to go outside immediately..

While Mikey is in the house, and the kitten is in the bathroom, Mikey seems to do ok, whines a little more, and you can tell he's a little anxious, as he seems a little unsettled. But if he hears the kitten crying through the door, he almost seems kinda scared. Last night he settled down and slept through the night just fine though. So ill see how he does when i bring him in tonight for bedtime.. Mikey spends most of his time outside, but comes in after dark.

I be sure to go real slow and follow the steps of those articles, i just hope i can make it work for them, because i doubt i can find another home for the kitten.

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Take it slow and it seemed like the thread I sent you had a lot of good advice! Keep us updated and let us know how it goes! Best of luck! (We would also love to see new pictures!)

presto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I just read your thread, or I would have replied earlier. First of all - Smokey is one of the cutest kittens I've seen. What eyes!! I have experience introducing cats and kittens, as I am a foster for a rescue group here in NYC. It is perfectly normal for a resident cat to hiss at a newcomer. In fact, it would be very odd if he didn't. I have a 4 year old resident male, who gets very hissy whenever a newcomer arrives. I am very careful for the first couple of days; but I've found that the more you keep them together (supervised, of course), the faster the older resident cat will get acclaimated, and frankly, bored with the new kitten. After a few days of being in the same space, I wouldn't worry about the older cat harming the kitten.

In your case, though, the kitten is SO YOUNG, that I would give it a little more time. Four weeks is too young to be left to roam - even if there were no other animals in the house. Be extra careful to "cat proof" the house. Absolutey no rubber bands lying around, loose electrical cords, dangerous plants, etc.... Use common sense. If the little guy is extremely shy and skiddish, take extra care. If he's a brave little guy, then give him his space a little quicker.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Smokey isn't shy at all.. sticks to me like glue when i spend time with him in his room. Loves to crawl all over me, and is very very affectionate for such a young kitten. He likes to rub his little cheeks on my chin, and LOVES it when you rub his little chin.. He's a good little kitten, does not cry very much when alone.. I might hear him cry a little right after i have left his room, but he usually stops within a few minutes.. I learned that if i distract him with a little food before i leave the room, he doesn't cry at all.. Mikey did hear him cry one time though, and it seemed to scare Mikey.. He got pretty anxious, and wanted to go outside right away.. I let him out and a few hours later he came back in and seemed fine.

Smokey is currently living in my bathroom.. Its not real big, but its the best i got, and its safe, nothing in there for him to get into. Put a blanket on the floor, and he uses his carry case as a bed, and has toys to play with.

Mikey seems to be doing ok.. He only saw Smokey once briefly, which is when he hissed at him. And hasn't seen him since. Mikey is still acting a little "off" hes a little more whiny, but not too bad. And you can tell hes a little anxious, probably not sure what to think. I read those articles, and i think im gonna take this nice and slow too try to keep Mikey as "low stress" as i can.. Smokey is so young he needs to be secluded to his room for a few weeks anyway. So ill let Mikey just get used to Smokey's sent in the house for a couple weeks.. And iv been really giving Mikey lots of extra attention to help him feel secure. Extra treats, lots of extra petting and play, ect.. But you can tell hes acting a little different.. Mikey is a very vocal cat anyway, and when he wants something, or wants attention, he will nag you and whine.. Since Smokey came in, hes a little more whiny, but not much.. So hes not doing bad, so ill just give him the time he needs and take it step by step as Mikey adjusts. With Smokey being so young, and being kept separated, we have the time anyway.

Mikey spends the majority of his day outside.. So in a week or two while Mike is outside, ill start letting Smokey roam around mine and Mike's living space. Spread his sent around and let Mikey get used to that.. Then maby start on little peaks at each other and build it up from there.

I really wanna make sure this works. Even if they don't become the best of pals, ill be happy with just living peacefully together. Because i work throughout the day, so they will eventually have to spend alot of time alone together.. Mikey does spend alot of time outdoors, but he usually comes in for a few hours during mid day, then goes back out, and then he comes in after dark..

So im gonna take it slow, let Mike ease into it.

Of course then there is the issue with Joey.. My eldest cat.. He's 7, and never accepted Mikey. Joey doesn't care Mikey is in the house, as long as he stays away.. Its not much of an issue for those two though because Joey lives upstairs with my parents, and Mikey stays downstairs with me, so they don't interact. And they are fine with that. But eventually We'll have to let Joey know that Smokey is in the house, cause as far as i know, he has no idea. I know Joey will never accept him, as he did with Mikey, Joey is just that way.. VERY shy, does not like any people except me and my parents. Where Mikey is very social with anyone. But as long as i can get Joey too be "ok" with Smokey living downstairs like Mikey does, then it wont be an issue.

Here is a picture of Mikey.

This is Joey.

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope everything will work out just right!
Thanks for sharing pictures of Joey and Mikey!

presto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mikey looks EXACTLY like my adult male, Solo. Black, same eyes, and a little white spot on the chest! Amazing!

big buddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you're on the right track with taking it slow. I know that feeling of anxiety when you think they won't get along

PS. Post more pics of Mikey!!!

Originally Posted by Presto

Mikey looks EXACTLY like my adult male, Solo. Black, same eyes, and a little white spot on the chest! Amazing!
For a moment, I thought Mikey was a picture of my cat Jack!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just take it slow and read the articles - and always always always greet and feed the resident cat, Mikey, first. Just flat out tell him that the kitten is his kitten, that Mikey is #1 in your heart, and that you've got love enough for everyone. I know it may seem silly, but I'm convinced that the cats can hear your reassurance in your voice. You've already been doing all that - just keep it up. Keep up with all the playtime, etc., and do the swapping of scents you've read about.

I introduced a cat after I'd had my female for three months - yes there was hissing and chasing and I was a nervous wreck thinking I'd made everything worse...but eventually they settled down. I think your older, upstairs cat, may just not have wanted to deal with a young cat - that's a big age difference there. Mikey wll probably bit a little more flexible since he's younger.

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Had a little trouble with Mikey last night. He kept me up till nearly 3am whining off and on.. So i had to put Mikey in the game room last night so i could sleep.. Which is basically his room anyway, his bed, food and toys are all in there. But I haven't had to do that in a long time. He was good this morning though, quiet and affectionate. So i let him go outside early today so he could enjoy the cooler morning. I brought him in for lunch a few minutes ago, and played a little bit. But its weird, i might be having trouble reading how Mikey is feeling. Cause when i would pet him, he would whine as if he didnt want me touching him. Not moving away or anything like that.. Just whining a bit when i pet him. So i would stop, and he would roll over like he wanted me to pet him some more, so i would, and he would whine.. Maby it was because i had just been in the room spending a little time with Smokey, before i brought Mikey in for lunch, so maby he smelled Smokey on me, and was acting a bit fussy about it..

Im going to try to find a home for Smokey.. He's a great little kitten, and i really like him. But i REALLY did not want another cat. But naturally i wasn't about to leave Smokey where i found him, he would have never survived on his own. Plus I'm very happy with my living situation with Mikey, and this kitten has become a major disruption to that, plus my mother is ADAMANT about not keeping him, cause she does not want another cat in the house. So im going to put flyers up at work and some of the other local stores near where i work, and see if i can find him a home. My mom told a friend of hers about Smokey, and he might be interested cause hes been wanting another house cat because his passed away a while back, but he has to get his wifes ok first, so we'll see if that pans out.. If not ill just have to keep putting up flyers and hope someone wants him.. Because mom cant take another cat in the house..

Me and my Dad agreed that if we can find him a home, we will pay for his shots and neutering, when hes old enough to have them done.. So the new owners wont have to worry about it.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're a great guy - and Smokey has been blessed with your care. I hope you can find him just the right forever home. And I think it's wonderful that you and your dad will take care of shots and neutering.

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's really nice of your dad to pay for the shots and neutering.
Hope you find a great forever home for him and good for you, for being a rescuer when Smokey needed you.

Good luck to you and Smokey!

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Believe me, i would absolutely love to keep him forever.. He's such a little sweet heart. And i really love spending time with him. I don't get too spend as much time with him as id like too.. But with work, and trying to keep Mikey as happy as possible, its difficult. I always let Mikey outside when i come home for my lunch break, so iv been spending my breaks with Smokey, so thats an hour in the middle of the day that hes not alone while im at work. So hes alone for about 5 hours, then im with him for an hour on my break, then hes alone for another 5 hours until i get home.. Me and my Dad work at the same place, so he pays him a visit when he comes home for lunch too, then i spend some time with him when i come home and obviously since hes in the bathroom, whenever i use it, he has company.. During the weekends i check on him every 2 or 3 hours throughout the day and play and pet him, and just keep him company for a half hour or so. So during the weekend i spend alot more time with him, so im doing my best. My mom cant go down the stairs, so she cant come down to see him, and even though my mom doesn't want me to keep him, she still likes him very much. It's impossible not too. But she just cant take another cat in the house.. Two is enough for her as is. And shes really glad that i saved him, but she is defiantly adamant about finding him a new, permanent home..

I put up flyers at a bunch of stores near where i work. One was a toy store, and one was a "baby" store, so lots of family's with kids should see them.. Plus i put one up in the diner across the street that gets TONS of people traffic every day.. Plus some more in the windows of my store, and a few inside the store as well, so hopefully someone will come around. A family with kids would be nice. I just hope i can find someone soon, as the younger they are, the more likely someone will adopt them. Plus it will be easier on Smokey the sooner he finds a home, as im sure if he isn't already hes growing attached too me.. It's only been two days though, so ill just have to give it some time.

Mikey seems to be doing ok.. Acting a little fussy, and whiny at times, and wanting to spend a little more time outside than usual, but he seems ok.. He's still really loving with me and playful when i attempt to play, so i don't think hes "angry" at me.. Iv been babying him allot also, lots of extra treats, playing and petting.

Whew!.. anyway, its been an exhausting week taking care of little Smokey, and trying to keep Mikey happy.. Doesn't hurt that iv been real sick all week either.. I'm tired, lol.

jonesy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found Smokey a home today.. I delivered him to his new momma this afternoon. She works at my vets office, so i cant think of better person to adopt him.. So I'm really really happy for Smokey.. She's a real nice woman, and is in love with Smokey.. She confessed to me that when i originally brought him in too the vet to get checked, they kept him overnight, and she confessed that she took him home that night so he wouldn't be alone.. So Smokey already knows her a little bit.

So im really happy how things turned out.. Smokey got a great home, and i was happy to help him and take care of him.. I have to admit though, i really miss the little guy.. Regardless of the headache it was with my other cats having him here, i miss be able to hold and play with the little fella..

Mikey is back to normal.. His normal constantly pestering me for attention self, lol..

I hope you have a great and happy life little Smokey, ill miss you.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful news - sounds like you found an ideal home, and bless you for caring so much about this little guy.