Introducing New Kitten To My Other Cat

mpq1996

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently got a new kitten to be a buddy with my other cat about 3 or 4 days ago. The kitten is 3 months old and my other cat is about a year and a half old. My older cat has not been hostile towards the new kitten in any way yet, but hisses and runs away if she hears him meow. She refuses to to come out of my bed room, mostly staying in my beds boxsping except for at night. I have been keeping the kitten in the bathroom and spending about even time with them. I have swapped some toys and scratching posts to try and get them used to eachothers scent but my older cat is still terrified. What should i do from here and when would it be fine to let them see eachother through a door crack or anything like that? older cat only saw the kitten in a crate when i first brought him in the door

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are doing fine, actually. It is going to take time for your older cat to get used to and accept this little upstart who has INVADED HER TERRITORY!!! Don't expect too much, too soon. You need to block off your bed so that your cat can't just hole up under there. And begin feeding her outside of the bathroom door, not too close to start with, but edging closer as she learns to tolerate it. When she can eat next to the door with the little invader on the other side, THEN you can begin allowing them to see each other.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

This should give you some additional information!

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellosmiley:

Is your little boy neutered? If not, when will he be done? It could be the wiff of hormones that has frightened your girl and she will warm to him when they wear off. :ruminating:

18 months and 3 months old are good ages to make firm friends. :dance:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mpq1996

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:hellosmiley:

Is your little boy neutered? If not, when will he be done? It could be the wiff of hormones that has frightened your girl and she will warm to him when they wear off. :ruminating:

18 months and 3 months old are good ages to make firm friends. :dance:
Yes he is neutered

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Patience and time. That's the key to it. Cats have to make peace with each other on their own time schedule, not ours. You are doing well.

mpq1996

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So quick question, while my older cat was roaming around today i held the kitten in my arms in the same room, and my older cat saw and would stare at him, and only hissed if the kitten was within 5 feet of her. is the good progress or normal do you think?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's actually very good time, but don't push them. The fact that the kitten is so much younger does help a bit.

mpq1996

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's actually very good time, but don't push them. The fact that the kitten is so much younger does help a bit.
Yes i tried it again earlier today and the okder cat actually walked up to me and the kitten all calm then spit at the kitten and ran away lol

mpq1996

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are doing fine, actually. It is going to take time for your older cat to get used to and accept this little upstart who has INVADED HER TERRITORY!!! Don't expect too much, too soon. You need to block off your bed so that your cat can't just hole up under there. And begin feeding her outside of the bathroom door, not too close to start with, but edging closer as she learns to tolerate it. When she can eat next to the door with the little invader on the other side, THEN you can begin allowing them to see each other.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

This should give you some additional information!
She has started eating by the door and is making a game of swatting the kittens paws and hissing when the kitten reaches under. not sure if that is good or not

mpq1996

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have read that the adult cat may try to establish a hierarchy by hissing and batting at the kitten. Is this true? They are to the point they can sit by eachother with a door cracked and the older cat will hiss and bat at him. Her hair isnt really sticking up but her tail is fluffed a little when she does it. She hasnt hit him yet misses every time, but i am scared to open the door enough to where she can get at him if this is bad

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am at two months already, and my adult cat has just started coming out of my closet when I have the kittens up. he still hisses, and nips at them, but at least he is starting to interact a little, and when they are not running around too much, he even sleeps on the bed with them. I really do not see them totally being cool with each other for about six months. like the other post said, patience and time.

mpq1996

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess my question is more of do you think it is okay to open door completely and let them see eachother or wait till the hissing is completely gone before doing that

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
have you tried opening door completely with a baby gate (or two stacked up on top of each other) so they can see each other completely, but not hurt each other? then you can try giving them some treats on either side of the gate, so that they see being together is fun. If I waited for hissing to be done, my kittens would still be in their safe room after two months. as long as no one actually hurts the other, the hissing and moaning may go on for awhile.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The baby gates is an excellent idea, and will allow you to let them see each other in safety.

mpq1996

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes i have tried the baby gate but the kitten just decides to climb over it. they are to the point where as long as the kitten doesnt go near her she is fine with it. Only hisses when kitten is coming at her. and the kitten seems to have a massive want to sprint at the older cat lol

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes i have tried the baby gate but the kitten just decides to climb over it. they are to the point where as long as the kitten doesnt go near her she is fine with it. Only hisses when kitten is coming at her. and the kitten seems to have a massive want to sprint at the older cat lol
So hardcore with a kitten and an older cat. I'm trying to intervtrate two newcomers kitties with two podcast cat so and it's a nightm

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes i have tried the baby gate but the kitten just decides to climb over it.
That's why you use two of them, stacked one on top of the other.

So far, things seem to be going fairly well, at any rate. "Armed Truce" or "Peaceful Tolerance" is often the best you can do with two cats. And that's perfectly fine, really.