Introducing new kitten/kittens to 12 year old - What to expect or how?

mcqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I just recently lost one of my boys, Randolph to a Saddle Thrombus clot.  I got him and his brother, Mortimer 12 years ago.  It's been about 3 weeks since everything happened and my wife and I are considering bringing a kitten or possibly two kittens into the house.  I'm just concerned how Mortimer is going to feel about it and wanted to get some opinions from people who have gone through this before and how the introduction of the kittens should take place.  

I want to provide a good home to all the cats but Mortimer is the primary concern as I do not want to upset him but I do feel as though he will eventually need a friend and hope that he would take well to being a big brother.

Any insight would be helpful and appreciated.

Thank you

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First, I'm so sorry about your loss of Randolph to a saddle thrombus.  I lost a 3-year-old female to one just last month, totally unexpected. It is so sudden there is no time to even be prepared for the loss.  I was just glad I was home and able to rush her to the vet to be put to sleep so she didn't suffer long.  I hope you were also.  There is really nothing else you can do for them in that case.

Second, if you are getting a kitten, I strongly suggest you get TWO kittens, and I would suggest both males as their energy is similar and they make great playmates for each other.  Kittens are used to being with others, and if you get one kitten, it will pester your adult cat for constant attention and most adult cats hate this, so it is unpleasant for both of them.  If you get TWO kittens, you can introduce them gradually to your adult, and he can watch from a distance while they play with each other and join if he wants or avoid if he wants.  That totally depends on his personality, but with two kittens, they will not need anything from Mortimer.  Also, hopefully they will be companions to each other for a long time, and if you got just one kitten and he did get attached to Mortimer, he would probably outlive him by years and have to go through the same loss of a brother.  So yes, two kittens, not one, and do the slow introductions as advised.  Some adult cats love kittens, but most do not, and will like them better when they become young adults. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the response.  Yes the loss of Randolph was very unexpected as he just went in for his checkup and everything was fine.  It has been a devastating loss and we are truly not over it.  He was such a lover.  =[

We went and visited some kittens last night at a local shelter.  A boy and a girl.  The boy looks similar to Randolph.  We wanted to think about adopting them first but we are strongly considering them.  They are not from the same litter though, but both adorable and friendly.